View Single Post
Old 01-16-2001, 07:45 PM   #1
feldon34
Forum Administrator

***Time to Upgrade to DirectX 8***

For anyone who is just tuning in, it looks like a future version (possibly .99H) of Sachs Aquarium will require DirectX 8 to be installed on your computer. I figure now is a good time to get DirectX 8 going, rather than scrambling to get your system ready whenever a version launches.

Installing a new version of DirectX *SHOULD* be easy if you have been keeping up with the latest video card and sound card drivers. If you haven't then you may be doing some digging around to get this all working.

To get the latest DirectX 8 for your Win95/98/Me/2000 box, head to Microsoft's website here:

www.microsoft.com/directx/homeuser/downloads/default.asp

Why upgrade to DirectX 8?

Well, not only will future versions of the Sachs Aquarium use and require it, but also the new features will require it. Features such as multiple monitors, switching automatically to 16-bit on all systems, and running natively in 24 and 32 bit will all require DirectX 8 code. In addition, I've been told that the Windows 2000 "bubbles sound that keeps going for 3+ minutes" bug will be fixed in the Direct X 8 version of the Aquarium.

There are always risks in changing your system configuration. Someone in another post here said they had problems going to DirectX 8 and actually had to remove it and regress back to DirectX 7. But overall, it should be a painless upgrade for most people.

I'm getting some new games soon and I know they require DirectX 8, so I guess I will be finding out soon enough!

Regards,
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote