View Single Post
Old 01-02-2005, 04:02 PM   #1186
RBEmerson
Registered

Originally posted by Jim Sachs
There were some good ideas in that post the first time around, and they're still good. Carribean fish are already represented to some extent in the Aquarium (The French Angel, Queen Angel, and Rock Beauty), but I do plan to add more.

Whale snot - no. If the water in this 12-inch-front-to-back tank is cloudy, then the filter is broken.

Bubble sound - yes, I do plan to improve it on the next pass.
It may help to think that I approach MA from a diver's standpoint of "if I can't be diving, at least I can see some of the same thing" instead of, in a sense, adding another tank to the collection. Since my diving is Caribbean or southern Atlantic coast, my interest is in species I'd see there.

I understand that having a lot of particles circulating in a tank is, per se, a bad thing but as a depth of field cue, it might be a useful gimmick to help make the virtual tank seem to extend back from the plane of the display. Referring tothe particles as a little bit of uneaten food, in place of "whale snot", might help sell the notion.

Finally, while diving, one of the more enjoyable sights is watching really small juveniles darting around. They sometimes take a sharp eye to spot but there's something appealing about these miniature fish. I'd like to see them in MA, too.
Sometimes I sits and thinks, sometimes I just sits.
RBEmerson is offline   Reply With Quote