View Single Post
Old 07-04-2007, 09:12 AM   #705
Jim Sachs
Developer

I just implemented fade-in-from-black when the Aquarium first starts up. On most of my machines, I use 16-bit settings because of the enormous speed advantage I get with the weak ATI and Intel chips. With dithering, the image is virtually indistinguishable from 32-bit, but the background does show a very slight flicker when fading in from black.

When I tried testing this on my new machine with the nVidia 8500 GT card, I found that dithering didn't seem to be working at all. Whenever I switched to 16-bit color, there was severe banding of the background. I couldn't find any switch in the nVidia Settings screen to turn dithering on or off. A quick Google search didn't reveal anything useful regarding lack of dithering on nVidia cards.

Switching between 16 and 32-bit on the new machine did not seem to make any difference in the frame rate, so the point may be moot, but I'd still like to know is dithering capability has been removed. Do any of you have the same problem with newer nVidia cards?
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote