View Single Post
Old 02-02-2009, 09:53 AM   #168
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by jedware:
I don't know if this is an installer issue or program issue. When I was moving my altlogo.png file to the correct location under Application Data I ran into a strange situation.

On all my other machines I easily found the folder and placed the file in folder. However on one machine I couldn't find the folder. At first I thought I hadn't installed the program but then saw that it was installed by the installer.

I did a search and saw that the folder was created under a different user profile than the one i used to install. And it was a limited user account to boot. I am not sure why MA3 would pick another user profile to create directories. I suspect it is using some offset rather than the correct name for the location. The limited user account was first alphabetically from the admin account I used to install.

Has anyone else experienced this behaviour on XP SP3 and MA3?  
Supplemental to what Edgar said - and you probably already know this:

You'll remember that some other programs ask you, during the installation, whether you want to install for "All users" or for "Only This User". The MA3 installer doesn't do that - it just installs for "All users".

But, to allow any of the users of the computer to use MA3, and to allow each user to have his/her own customizations (fish, logos, music, etc.), there has to be a separate place to put each user's settings. That's what you're hunting.

However, I suspect that the place for that data, for any particular user, isn't created until that user actually runs MA3 for THAT USER'S first time. [It makes sense to do it that way]

So, before "your personal account" first runs MA3, no place has been created for you to put your Altlogo files.

I'm guessing that your "limited" account had already run MA3, but your "normal account" had not yet run MA3.

HTH
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote