View Single Post
Old 03-05-2006, 11:43 AM   #201
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I still think this whole damn thing would have been so much easier if they'd kept both products (MA and MAT) around and let the 2 fish be a free upgrade to MA. Now, they've been pushed by the court of public opinion to give away MAT and MA bundle for free to tens of thousands of people who would have been perfectly happy with just MA 2.6 and might still have been upsold to MAT at a future date. All told, Prolific ended up LOSING money (and credibility) with this upgrade.

A long time ago, Reichart told me that one of the main benefits of the development of Marine Aquarium 2 series was that a single download could respond differently to different keycodes. You could download MA/MAT and depending upon which keycode you entered, you'd get either MA, MAT, or both functionalities. He actually gave me a specific example where the fish could be separate little modules contained within the Aquarium that:
#1 would not require a separate download -- a 20kb inline update instead of a fresh download of 2MB per customer which costs Prolific a fortune in web hosting bills
#2 would respond to different keycodes

I wonder what happened to that.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote