View Single Post
Old 02-17-2009, 08:33 PM   #5
Dale
Banned

Perhaps there should be a "version" notice on the page where the [Website] button takes people. [Expecting folks to have the insight to click on "News" is perhaps a stretch]

[The way I found out there was a new version, was to download the installer version, and check the size of the file in bytes, compared to the previous one. Checking the usual things like "file version" didn't help - it is so far always 0.0.0.0. Of course, repeatedly downloading the file - in addition to being a PITA - does increase the download count, and bandwidth cost for Prolific]

This isn't a new problem. For instance: https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums...ad.php?p=74521

However, with MA2, the versions came much less frequently, and were easier to identify (somewhat). And, further, the "corrective updates" weren't very important except for people who were having a specific problem.

Now, with MA3, Prolific is encouraging people to buy the Beta and (implicitly) download all of the newer production versions until it's "finished". That's quite a different situation.

Jim, you've said several times that "everyone at Prolific has been too swamped with getting Qtask done..."

Please pardon my blunt expression of feelings. If Prolific isn't prepared to do a quality job of introducing MA3, then they shouldn't offer it until they are prepared - regardless of the Peanut Butter situation. And rolling out a CD version of the Beta is going to further complicate the "update awareness" situation.

Sorry to say that, but it seems to me that you are busting your butt to produce a first-quality artistic simulation, and getting a lot of constructive help from folks here -- but you're having to also do a lot of apologizing for Prolific.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote