View Single Post
Old 02-19-2009, 06:24 PM   #19
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
As far as how the casual user will interact with the program, it will be the same as it's always been - they'll download it, set it as their screensaver, and never touch it again. They'll never know about clocks, logos, or any of the other features. They'll enjoy if for years, and it won't give them any trouble. They will impress their friends with it, telling them that it's the best $19.95 they've ever spent on their computer. Maybe some day their computer-nerd nephew might notice that it's an old version, and download an update for them.  
I have made my suggestions to Jim on how to break this cycle. In 5 years, Marine Aquarium will be the only software on modern PCs that *does not* check for updates periodically. After 10 years I have learned that Jim is gonna do whatever Jim is gonna do. Any illusion I had that I could use my understanding of the screen saver market and knowledge of computer software development to help improve the Aquarium was dissolved years ago.

Writing a 2 page posts about this topic accomplishes little. Creating separate topics about it accomplishes even less.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote