View Single Post
Old 09-25-2010, 05:26 PM   #906
Jim Sachs
Developer

OK, I got the cable ($31 at Radio Shack), and the 3D is working. While the 3D effect is slightly flatter than with the old Revelator system, it's still very good. You can adjust the depth of the effect, but only from the screen surface away from you. With the old Revelator system, you could bring the whole scene towards you, in front of the monitor.

Since I developed all the 3D in this program "in theory only", without ever having seen it in stereovision, I was concerned about holes and objects showing up where they shouldn't. But I'm happy to report that it's virtuallyt free of such anomolies, and looks great in stereo (as Wiz had hinted).

The Samsung 2233rz is defintiely an entry-level 3D experience, though. There is major ghosting of high-contrast objects. I read up on this at several websites, and found that few people know what they are talking about. Most claimed that it was the fault of the video card, drivers, or shutter glasses, and not the monitor, but it is clearly the monitor. The way I would describe it is "brightness rebound". When the pixels of a bright or dark object are switched 120 times per second, they go past the target value for an instant - just long enough to be registered as a negative image by the other eye. This is rather annoying, and gives me a headache after a few minutes.

nVidia's contributions to the system work well. The wireless shutter glasses are really pretty nice. It takes a lot to get them to lose the signal from the transmitter. They are rechargeable from the same mini-USB cord which powers the transmitter.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium

Last edited by Jim Sachs; 09-25-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote