View Single Post
Old 03-25-2003, 07:41 AM   #92
top_Cat
Registered

Although I do agree with some of the points you make, I think if you look at the most successful entertainment products (specifically games) they allow the end-user to add more content that is designed by other user. As I mentions before take Quake, Neverwinter Nights, Unreal. The newest of these is Neverwinter Nights which has created a MASSIVE loyal user based (in a relatively short time) because of this fact.

I agree that simplifying things is very much the best idea. I don't think the average user wants to install 3D Studio Max and make a model. Although allowing the possibility for this means that the "enthusiasts" who want to spend months of their free time to “improve” your product can. You then cover all your options are the "enthusiasts" will be happy as they WANT to give there time to you for free and the average user will also be happy as they can get lots of things to add to their fish tank.

Once the object has been completed user can import a new object. Making the importing of new objects easy should, in my opinion, be focused on. As long as “Joe public” can import them simply then you will not have a problem.

This I believe generates loyalty to your product and means more people will recommend it to friends (and everyone know that positive word of mouth is the best selling tool there is).

I am sure that most people here would agree that allowing for the “possibility” of created end-user objects would be fantastic, and they are your dedicated customers after all.

Thanks
Top Cat
top_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote