View Single Post
Old 08-20-2004, 11:08 PM   #5
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

Three displays/two video cards

Hi John,

Please make me a table of the configurations and the speed. Following it in the text of a paragraph is hard for me. What I see you have here is:

rate........22" ................... 15" CintiQ ......... 17" ASD
100+ .... ATI 9600 Pro ....... Off .................... Off
13 ........ ATI 9600 Pro ....... ATI 7000 ............ Off

This is as I would expect once I thought more about what you have and how we work. You only draw as fast as your slowest video card. Try this:
40+ ...... ATI 9600 Pro ....... Off .................... ATI 9600 Pro

We use multiple CPUs for tweening the fish geometries. Threading the entire drawing model would not be economical for the small portion of the market which has multiple CPUs and multiple monitors and isn't using factory video cards, though I'd enjoy doing it. Drawing to OpenGL on multiple threads wasn't something I wanted to tackle on the all-nighter when I added the threaded computation; what I read indicated it wasn't straightforward.

The quick (and therefore likely to happen in the near term) solution would be to have the ability to pick which displays are used in multiple display mode, so you could block the ATI 7000.

The way to get things changed in the program (like re-writing the drawing model to make it fully threaded) is to:
1) buy the product (thanks for doing that)
2) talk nicely about the product in public forums (saw your post on VT, thanks for doing that)
3) get other people to buy the product (you now know what to give family for birthday, right?)
4) talk to me about it here from time to time
5) be patient and friendly (thanks for doing that)

You are most of the way there!

Thanks,
Jim
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
JimO'Connor is offline   Reply With Quote