View Single Post
Old 07-19-2001, 01:41 PM   #348
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Re: Here we go again -Keyword is "again"

Offsetwiz,

There is no excuse for bloatware, for software that is 10 times as big as it should be. Why is Microsoft Word 200MB? It's a word processor!

Some might complain that Jim is working slowly. At my last count, Jim has, in the last year, put more saltwater fish into his Aquarium than any of the other screen savers that use flat photos or a 3D animated fish loop.

I'm sure glad Renoir and Monet didn't have someone looking over their shoulder telling them what to do.

Suggestions are one thing, and highly encouraged. Telling someone they should make their software a certain size, shape, color, or with certain features or that they "must" hire another programmer to help is rude.

You might want Jim's aquarium to "be like everyone else's".
It's the fact that Jim's aquarium is NOTHING like anything else anyone has ever done before that makes it so appealing.

Have you EVER seen such a fan following for a screen saver? I know I haven't.

And finally, I can't think of any fish in the Aquarium that really need bump mapping. Jim has been able to create a sheen and mesh-like appearance on the side of certain fish as needed. This is evidenced by the Copper-banded Butterfly, Royal Gramma, and to a lesser extent the Yellow Tang and Wimplefish.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote