Thread: Windows Vista Issue Skype 4.0 Conflicts with MA 3
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2009, 05:41 PM   #1
robnich
Registered

Skype 4.0 Conflicts with MA 3

Well, I am sorry to report that the same conflict between Skype 4.0 and Marine Aquarium 2.6 that I reported in that forum a couple of days ago, also exists between Marine Aquarium 3 and Skype 4.0. Unless this is unique to my system, I think this could be a major problem, because Skype 4.0, which was only released on February 3rd, will eventually be downloaded by millions of users.

My system is a Dell XPS Studio 435MT running Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit, with an ATI 4850 graphics processor, 6GB of RAM and very few 3rd party applications, as I have only had the computer for two weeks or so.

The problem is that when Skype 4.0 is open, neither the screensaver or the application will run. One cannot even preview the screensaver in the Personalization control panel. As soon as Skype is closed, the problem disappears, only to return as soon as it is opened. I have had one brief exception, when I restarted and Skype automatically opened. I closed it and it remained in its standby mode (in the taskbar) with myself "online". MA 2.6 ran normally, but as soon as my Skype staus changed from "online" to "away" (or vice-versa), the conflict reapppeared. Only when I quit the taskbar status icon and closed Skype, did the conflict resolve.

I am ready to provide any further information you might wish. Perhaps Jim or other member of the development team should download Skype 4.0 and give it a try.

By the way, MA3 looks absolutely gorgeous on my 23" wide-screen monitor!

Bob N.

EDIT: I may have jumped the gun here, and I think my testing with MA3 was not as rigorous as it was with MA2.6. After I uninstalled MA2.6 and restarted the computer, the conflict appears to be gone. There is no doubt it was there, just as I reported, but perhaps it was some residual of the MA2.6 conflict. At any rate, MA3 now runs like a champ, even with Skype 4.0 open, and independent of my online status.

Bob N.

Last edited by robnich; 02-09-2009 at 07:04 PM.
robnich is offline   Reply With Quote