View Single Post
Old 03-13-2003, 02:19 AM   #156
feldon34
Forum Administrator

fishbowl said:
Just curious to know if your new semi-dedicated server account supports the forementioned GZIP compression
It is a virtual machine, so I could format it and install any software I want, which is good and bad.
Good because I can do anything.
Bad because it took me 5 hours to get things configured where I want them.

Of course now I know how to do this. E-mail me for a quote.

fishbowl said:
& if you have already implemented it into the forum? & if so does it account for some of the faster loading of the forum pages?
We are running GZIP right now, so the TEXT/HTML part of every page loaded here is 80% smaller. The server is incredibly fast and so far has not been bogged down, so latency (time-for-something-to-start-happening) is positively zilch.

Basically, FeldonCentral is ALWAYS waiting on your Internet connection to finish sending you the completed pages. On the old FC, we were always waiting on the server to generate and send the pages.

My web provider said:
Your server will be set up with the default OS install which includes Apache 1.3.27; PHP 4.3.1. We do not recommend running with GZIP as it is resource intensive and may cause performance/service errors.
I can see their point. Think of running every web page you look at through Winzip first.

But so far, CPU usage has never hit 10%. I think it is totally worth it since this topic page I am replying to is:

12,609 bytes compressed (2.7 seconds on 56k)
75,823 bytes uncompressed (16.5 seconds on 56k)
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote