View Single Post
Old 05-13-2001, 10:47 PM   #1
Coelacanth
Thought to be Extinct

.99K still locks up

With every new release, I keep hoping that the aquarium will run on my primary system...but no such luck so far.

.99K locks up on it, just like all of the other releases. (I think I had posted here sometime previously that .99J didn't lock up. Well, it did. It just took longer than previous versions. Same with .99K -- instead of locking up in 4-7 minutes like previous versions, .99K locks up after several hours.)

I have three PCs. The aquarium runs fine on two of them -- a W2K and a Win98SE machine. But on my primary machine (another Win98SE machine), it locks. This machine's specs are:

GeForce 256 SDR
256MB RAM
Pentium III 933 on an ASUS CUSL2 mobo
NIC card
MX300 sound card (doesn't matter if bubble sound is enabled or not)
IBM 75GXP HDD
Kenwood 72X CD-ROM
DirectX 8.0A
NVidia drivers (tried everything from 6.18 to 7.58. All lock.)
Screen resolution and color depth don't matter. It locks up regardless of what I choose.

The video card isn't overheating. I can run every other screensaver I have, including everything from www.reallyslick.com, indefinitely. The thing can cycle Quake III Arena for hours.

The lock-ups happen even if I just have Explorer and Systray running and nothing else.

I *can* run the aquarium indefinitely on my other systems, though I really just want to run it on my primary system only. But the other systems, which have Celerons, TNT2 cards and 128MB RAM, work fine.

I just can't figure out what the problem is.
Coelacanth is offline   Reply With Quote