View Single Post
Old 05-16-2001, 01:39 PM   #16
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Re: In my humble opinion...

First of all, the 'chill pill' comment doesn't work for me. Sorry, if that sounds arrogant, but I don' respond well to that. There are thousands of constructive ways to make a point and ask me to clarify/justify what I said.

Coelacanth, we value ALL opinions here (except 'the Aquarium sucks' which we delete on sight). I'm sorry if it sounded like I was shooting your ideas down.

As for more creatures in the tank, I'm not sure how this exploded into a huge discussion. Maybe I should put more information out there so this doesn't happen.

The current background is a flat photo. This will be GONE 2 months from now, replaced with a 3D background with any moving elements Jim can manage to squeeze in there. It's all a matter of programming and aesthetics.

We had a huge voting process 4 months ago with hundreds of votes about whether Jim should try to do a simple backdrop for old video cards, making it backwards compatible OR to go forward and put a nice complex moving background which might need a stronger card. Even at the expense of turning off 1-2 fish in favor of this more complex background.

We voted for #2 OVERWHELMINGLY.

So you will get your 7 fish and any moving background elements Jim can make happen. The background will have at least as much 3D geometry as 2 fish.

And at least one invertebrate will not count towards fish count, such as a shrimp or starfish. So 7 fish, nice backdrop, and 1+ invertebrates.

pulsing Xenia, grazing nudibranchs, bristleworms
Not sure about the Xenia, but Nudibranchs are Jim's planned-confirmed wishlist for himself. So sometime between now and October 2001.

Beyond that, I doubt Jim has even decided how much to put on the screen.

Coelacanth, please stick around!
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote