View Single Post
Old 12-26-2009, 08:47 AM   #796
JohnWho
Registered

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
The night before I first shipped the Sachs Marine Aquarium simulation program (in 2000), a made a change which would allow the customers to use the program as a screen-blanker. I did this by changing the extension from .exe to .scr. From then on, many people seem to call it a screen-saver.  
I understand, Jim, and appreciate both the difference and the capability.

I guess I'm just pointing out that since so many of us use this as a "screen saver", having the entire screen experience a "pixel change" is somewhat desirable.

I know you've said you are working on having the background color change somewhat like it does on V 2.6 which would effect the complete pixel color change. I was only suggesting another possibility. Maybe it is more difficult to move the bubble column, in which case my suggestion isn't viable? I know you've said that ultimately you may provide a setting that allows an end user to place the bubble column in a few places in the aquarium.

We are simply looking at this from two very different perspectives - as programmer and end user. As an end user, I'm very happy with the program (except for the complete pixel change I've noted) as it is knowing that other improvements are in the wings. A lot of programs promise future enhancements or additions, so this is nothing unusual. I'm just expressing an opinion that if a complete pixel change capability was in MA3 beta, I believe you could drop the "beta" label. I also believe that the "beta" label prevents some folks from purchasing the product. Without the "beta", I suspect that cash flow would increase somewhat. I would think you would think that that is a "good thing", or at least a "couldn't hurt" thing.

Please don't take this an being argumentative or derogatory - that is not my intent. If I've stated this correctly I would hope that you recognize that my intent is sincere and offered as a beneficial suggestion not designed to imply any sort of negativity.

I've been in or around some level of the PC industry since 1983, and Marine Aquarium is the first "screen saver" that I've actually paid for - the free ones have worked fine for me - so if this isn't the best endorsement I can make, I don't know what would be. As I've stated in another thread, I've recommended MA3 beta to a lot of folks and show it every month at the local PC User's Group meeting, projected on a "big screen", during our Q & A session.

Sorry to be so long-winded.

Wish you well.
JohnWho is offline   Reply With Quote