View Single Post
Old 04-01-2001, 07:03 AM   #174
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

Re: Fish swimming diagonally

Hey Turtle,

Where did you get that image next to your name? It looks familiar to me, it resembles an image used in Native American myth.

It's been a while and I could be slightly off base (probably because I've become a bit disconnected from my Mohawk/Iroquois roots over the years), but I think it resembles the Great Turtle. Let me see, if I remember correctly, the story goes something like this -

"There was only the limitless vault of sky and the infinite waters of ocean. Above the sky there was a Sky World where living gods existed. In this Sky World there was a couple. While the pregnant woman was gathering food beneath a tremendous tree, she broke a hole down into the sky and fell, grasping at the plants which grew among the roots of the sky tree. A long way did she fall. Sea birds flying in the sky saw the woman falling. They circled together and formed a flying raft which caught the woman and kept her from falling into the vast sea below. Some of the sea birds called to the ocean creatures below to help save the woman. A Great Turtle emerged from the vast sea and agreed that he could take the woman upon his back. There she existed. The sky above and the sea all around. Finally a muskrat appeared, he dove to the bottom of the sea and retrieved a small amount of dirt within the grasp of his paws. With this soil, the woman grew the plants which remained in her hands and in time the Great Turtle became the earth."

Then again, you could have just downloaded that image and had no idea what it meant, but I was curious just the same.

- DL
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Today is the tomorrow you were worried about yesterday...
Digital Lungfish is offline   Reply With Quote