View Single Post
Old 12-21-2007, 11:14 AM   #960
Jim Sachs
Developer

Since the camera "trucks" or "dollies" from side to side, and does not really pan (rotate), we have to redefine what we mean by "How wide is the screen?" As the camera moves from right to left, the gravel at the front of the tank moves rapidly, while objects in the distance move more slowly. If the scene were deep enough, things in the far distance wouldn't move at all.

Watching the gravel at the front as I scroll the scene on my widescreen monitor, I get over two widescreens of material going by. The large Elkhorn coral near the center of the scene is mostly onscreen on the left when I am at the right scroll limit, and almost completely off screen to the right when at the left scroll limit.

There are some tricks that I can apply to increase the apparent amount of real estate in the tank. Let's say that someone has dual monitors set up next to each other and wants the Aquarium to appear properly as if they were real "underwater windows". This means a gap between the two scenes to account for the thickness of the monitor bezels. By zooming the scene in or out slightly, I can probably open up enough extra width to do this. When zoomed in, there would be a little less water showing at the top of the screen, and a little more water when zoomed out.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote