View Single Post
Old 06-07-2001, 11:36 PM   #6
Shinsa
Registered

Re: SS locks up keyboard

I knew there was somethiing about you I liked Feldon. I have the exact same feelings about windows. I don't remember 1.0, but I do remember 2.0. That was a joke. The most annoying interface I have ever seen! But it was about the time Apple was suing everyone and his brother for the "look and feel", so MS hands were tied for a while.

I too used Apples. I had Apple II's, and the IIGS had the same interface as the Mac. That interface was very, human feeling. A natural way to interact I thought. I always hated DOS, it did have its strong points, but only in a programming sort of way. DOS was powerful, if you liked to program, and learn the code and lingo. Apples OS was friendly.

I especially like Apples way of designating drives via path names, instead of letters or numbers. It didn't matter what drive a disk was in, because the OS didn't see the drives, but saw the path names. Like "\myCD\work\projects.doc" The OS remembers what disk "name" is in each drive. Worked a lot better. How many times have you put a CD in E: drive, only to find out its got to be in D: drive to work. Oh, and then there are companies like Compaq, where the CD drive is "Q" instead of the next open drive letter, D: in most cases, causing all sorts of other problems.

Apple based its OS on standards, something Micro$oft is still trying to learn.
Bob

"When you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."