Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 12-04-2001, 01:32 PM   #1
Neilyum
Registered

Cool Adjust Bubble Volume?

Hi folks!

Before I ask my question, I just want to say a special "Thank You!" to Mr Jim Sachs for the reason we're all here. You've made lots of people very happy, and I think *that* speaks volumes in itself! ...and speaking of volume...

No matter where I set the slider bar for Bubble Volume, it always comes on at full blast at screensaver startup. I can manually change it of course, but the next time it runs, it's at full volume again. Anyone else experiencing this? Any ideas?

[running WinXP Pro, SB Live! 5.1, Registered/Upgraded 99L]

(The fish, lighting effects, graphics in general are all visually stunning of course, and I find I need to pry myself away at times just to do mundane things like eat & sleep!)

Thanks again, and looking forward to any replies,
Neil 收D
Neilyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 03:35 PM   #2
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Are you pressing the "Exit" button in the Settings panel after changing the volume?

Do your other Settings seem to be saved between sessions of running the Aquarium?

If not, you need to run the Registry Cleaner and then re-enter your keycode.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 04:51 PM   #3
Neilyum
Registered

Thumbs Down

Originally posted by feldon23
Are you pressing the "Exit" button in the Settings panel after changing the volume?

Do your other Settings seem to be saved between sessions of running the Aquarium?

If not, you need to run the Registry Cleaner and then re-enter your keycode.
Hi Feldon!

Yes, I -always- click the Exit button!
The only other changes I've ever tried were with the lighting, and now that you mention it...they didn't always stick either.

I'm assuming that when you refer to "saving" settings, you mean by pushing the Exit button, so maybe I'll try the Cleaner!

Thanks for the advice!
Neil 收D
Old 12-04-2001, 05:07 PM   #4
Jim Sachs
Developer

We haven't tested the Aquarium on XP Pro yet, so maybe there's some registry strangeness that we're not aware of. But if the program is able to read the Key Code from the registry each time the program is started, then it should be able to read the other settings as well. All items in the Settings screen are saved when the Exit button is pressed.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 08:30 PM   #5
Neilyum
Registered

Hi Jim, honored to "meet" you!

Well, I tried the RegCleanerFixerUpper as Feldon suggested, but as you said...it must be a WinXP Pro thing. Each time the screensaver activates, the volume is at full blast regardless of the slider's position. You can hear it from the next room! <g>

(Please don't take this the wrong way...I'm not complaining!
I just thought you'd like to know, for the next version.)

Besides, if no one else is experiencing this phenomenon, it's probably something unique to my system. I can't be the only one running XP Pro and SereneScreen, can I? <g>
Neil 收D
Old 12-05-2001, 12:47 AM   #6
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Well, XP Pro is no different than Windows 2000, registry-wise. And dozens of users have been testing/using the Aquarium with Windows XP Pro since September, so I think we're talking about an isolated incident here.

I'm trying to figure out how your Aquarium is able to successfully write the keycode/serial number to the SereneScreen registry branch, but fails to write volume and lighting settings to the same branch. How can one write succeed and another write fail?

Wierdness!

If you are really adventuresome, you can go into the Registry and play with the settings yourself.

Just pull down Edit to Find... and type in SereneAquarium. Once you find it, it should display all the settings on the right.

for Volume:
100% is 00 00 00 00
66% is 5A FA FF FF
50% is 78 F8 FF FF
33% is A5 F5 FF FF
0% is 60 F0 FF FF
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 12-05-2001, 06:37 AM   #7
Neilyum
Registered

Well, I tried changing the registry settings. The change seems to work the *first* time, but after that the sound level goes back up to full! (In other words, the slider is graphically in the middle at 50% let's say, but the volume is 100%) It is definitely weirdness!

C'mon...any other XP Pro users out there? I'd really like to hear your comments.

Thanks for trying, Morgan!
Neil 收D
Old 12-13-2001, 05:16 PM   #8
Neilyum
Registered

Hi folks,

Just some observations regarding my bubble volume problem.

Even though I can change the settings in the Registry (as per Morgan's suggestion), the volume still plays at 100% when the ss starts. All other settings work (such as lighting for example), it's just the volume that seems to be immune.

Another odd thing that may be important:
Even though I followed the instructions to rename it "Fish.scr" and place it in C:\Windows\System32, it doesn't show a preview in the ScreenSavers tab under Display. In other words, I -can- choose it from the dropdown list, but there is no miniature version displayed in the window like all the other screen savers.
It's only when I click on the Preview button that I can actually see it working, and then only for 2 seconds. I -am- able to click the Settings button to make changes, but when I click Exit to save the changes, the sound remains at full volume next time.

I hope I haven't confused you more than I've confused myself at this point, as it's probably some strange unique problem only related to me and/or my machine! <g>

(Windows XP Pro, Creative Labs SB Live! 5.1) and *no* other sound related issues with any other applications.)

Hope this helps!
Neil 收D
Old 12-13-2001, 06:02 PM   #9
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Sorry to hear about your sound problems. I have no idea what the cause is.

As for the preview window, I don't expect that to work for a long time. It was easy to make it work in the XP Plus demo for reasons that are hard to explain.

I'd rather see the programming effort be put into other things like maybe this.
Old 12-13-2001, 06:44 PM   #10
Neilyum
Registered

Originally posted by feldon23
Sorry to hear about your sound problems. I have no idea what the cause is.

As for the preview window, I don't expect that to work for a long time. It was easy to make it work in the XP Plus demo for reasons that are hard to explain.

I'd rather see the programming effort be put into other things like maybe this.
Hi Morgan, thanks for confirming the preview window thing isn't just in my imagination! <g>

Oh, the new Settings Panels look great!
I voted "Purple!" <g>
Neil 收D
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive