Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 03-30-2003, 09:48 AM   #1
clifdene
Registered

Unhappy Opening/closing Aquarium 2 compared with 1

On my PC Aquarium 1 opens instantly and closes in one second. In Aquarium 2 it takes 6 seconds to open and 5 seconds to close.
Does anyone have the answer? It bugs me so much that I tend to oopen No. 1 which is a pity.
clifdene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 09:58 AM   #2
feldon34
Forum Administrator

This is described here:
https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums...&threadid=1372

Check your e-mail.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 09:59 AM   #3
xrayspex
Registered

Make sure your settings for resolution and color are the same in the program as your desktop. The hesitation your experiencing is probably becouse of the difference in settings.
I set mine up with the same exact resolution and bit rate and it takes less then a second to open up.
xrayspex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 10:35 AM   #4
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Except that some of us do not or cannot run at the desired resolution in 32-bit color. My CPU runs at 100% if the video is set to 32-bit. The next build of MA2 fixes this.

Considering only 21 people feel this is a big problem, let's hope we don't get thousands of downloads of this new build when it comes out.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 03-30-2003, 10:38 AM   #5
Jim Sachs
Developer

Also, don't forget that there are 3 components to resolution: Screen size, bit depth, and refresh rate. For example: 1024x768, 16-bit, 75 hz.

As has been discussed here many times, your Direct3D refresh rate can be set differently from your Desktop Refresh Rate. If all 3 of these items match your desktop, the Aquarium should start instantly.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 10:43 AM   #6
xrayspex
Registered

I am running at 100 percent CPU no matter if i am in 16 bit or 32.
If i have my settings exactly the same as my desktop it opens up instantly as jim said.
My CPU with serenescreen has always made my CPU 100 percent no matter what settings or versions i have used.
Old 03-30-2003, 11:17 AM   #7
clifdene
Registered

Many thanks everyone. Both work a treat now. Silly me.
Old 03-30-2003, 12:28 PM   #8
clifdene
Registered

Feldon. Thanks for your specific help. Yours effort generally are very much appreciated but perhaps you do not always get the praise you deserve. The same of course goes for Jim.
Old 03-30-2003, 01:16 PM   #9
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by xrayspex
I am running at 100 percent CPU no matter if i am in 16 bit or 32.
If i have my settings exactly the same as my desktop it opens up instantly as jim said.
My CPU with serenescreen has always made my CPU 100 percent no matter what settings or versions i have used.
The more details about your computer we have, the better we can help.

MA2, with the right settings, shouldn't use more than 50% of just about any CPU over 300MHz out there.
Old 03-30-2003, 01:40 PM   #10
xrayspex
Registered

1.2 Ghz
XP HOME sp1
Geforce4 MX 440-se
Directx9a
latest nivdia drivers
Old 03-30-2003, 01:51 PM   #11
xrayspex
Registered

I think i just found my problem.
In the options i had unlimited frp set . When i took the checkmark out and set it to 62 frp now im down to only 30 percent CPU and the fish seem to swim very smooth still! I am very happy!

Thanks!!
Would the cpu reading be the same when in windowed or full screen?

Last edited by xrayspex; 03-30-2003 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03-30-2003, 03:38 PM   #12
feldon34
Forum Administrator

To test your CPU usage in full-screen, open Task Manager and set it to show the CPU graph. Then, without closing Task Manager, run the Aquarium for a few moments. When you close the Aquarium, Task Manager should still be there in the background showing the CPU usage.
Old 03-30-2003, 04:13 PM   #13
xrayspex
Registered

Angry

Originally posted by feldon27
To test your CPU usage in full-screen, open Task Manager and set it to show the CPU graph. Then, without closing Task Manager, run the Aquarium for a few moments. When you close the Aquarium, Task Manager should still be there in the background showing the CPU usage.
CPU is now at about 50 percent in full screen. Much better then 100 percent.
Thank you feldon
Old 04-01-2003, 12:08 PM   #14
clifdene
Registered

Pardon my ignorance but I have tried this and I still have 100%. I am not worried as I am very happy with my two aquariums No.1 and No. 2. I get 60fps either way. As a matter of interest though if someone has the time I would like to know the reason for trying to reduce CPU usage. This is all a bit beyond me.
Old 04-01-2003, 01:10 PM   #15
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

clifdene,

Depending on how well your system is cooled, some people worry about overheating the cpu and frying it. When it runs at full steam so to speak, it generates more heat than say, if it was running half speed or less. Besides power spikes, heat is about the biggest enemy that your system has, and it can cause problems and failures. The same is true of most of your components.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 02:08 PM   #16
cjmaddy
Registered

clifdene,

Think of it like a car, - you wouldn't want to run all day with your foot hard down, it would overheat! - But it's nice to have the power and speed there, for the occasions when it's needed!
If your screensaver is on all day, and your fan fails, as Michael says, some people worry about overheating the cpu and frying it!
If like me, you use your screensaver occasionally for relatively short periods, you probably have nothing to worry about!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 01:45 AM   #17
clifdene
Registered

Thank you Michael and Cliff. I sometimes leave my Aquarium running and I have just built my new processor into a cupboard. There is plenty of space around it but not so much at the back. I keep a domestic fan running in the spaceand the front is open.
Now I am little concerned and would welcome any further advice.

Norman
Old 04-02-2003, 04:17 AM   #18
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Well I assume from your post that you can't check the temps. This must not be an option on the mobo you have, it isn't on mine either. You want to have good airflow throughout, place your hand at the front of the case and see if you can tell if there is air moving through openings at the front, there are always some there. In addition check the case fan at the rear of the unit and see if you have hot air, or only warm or normal air blowing out. This kind of thing isn't even close to being able to check temps, but at least it gives you an idea.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 07:48 AM   #19
clifdene
Registered

Thanks again Michael. I will have to get a temperature warning device just to be on the safe side.

I have checked my CPU usage again and can get down to less than 50% usage with MA2 but still have 100% with MA1.
The obvious answer is not to use MA1. I just did not like parting with an old friend!

Norman
Old 04-02-2003, 10:58 AM   #20
feldon34
Forum Administrator

MA1 is depreciated and, as you say, runs at 100% CPU all the time. What do you miss about MA1?
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive