Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

View Poll Results: What ideas did you like?
The AntiAliasing comment 1 3.13%
The Enhanced colour and bubble effects 9 28.13%
All of them 19 59.38%
None (Dont like them or dont think my graphics card could handle it) 3 9.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-21-2002, 08:16 PM   #1
Darkness2k
The Lord of Darkness

Exclamation Graphical Effects

Hi,

I really enjoy this Aquarium... I just have a few questions about additions to the display.

Currently, Anti-Aliasing is not available for the screensaver (unless you can turn on some NVIDIA function to force anti aliasing in all 3D applications). However, a screensaver specific AA option would be handy so I do not have to keep turning on and off forced anti-aliasing.

In addition, will 32-bit colour be supported (other than when going into Windowed mode) so that transparencies could be used? (I.e. transparent 3D bubbles, instead of the graphical one, and true-24bit coloured fish... )

Will fish also be able to "disturb" the bubble pattern (i.e. if they swim through it, the bubbles are distorted and moved out of their original course?)

Just some ideas I thought about, I am sorry if I have repeated someone else.

Thanks for your time.
Welcome to the Darkness
http://www.darkness2k.dsl.pipex.com/Shared/TagMini.jpg (Visit it manually)
Darkness2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 12:03 AM   #2
Jim Sachs
Developer

If there was some easy way of telling that AA was on, I might be able to disable it while the Aquarium was running, then re-enable it at exit. There may very well be an easy way, but not being a programmer, I don't know it. Of course, monkeying with the bits on the card usually breaks something else on other cards.

32 bit color gains nothing and doubles the memory use. Transparency works just as well in 16-bit. Look at the fish tails and fins to see a good example of alpha blending.

Yes, I do eventually plan to have the fish be able to deflect the bubbles.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 04:47 AM   #3
Darkness2k
The Lord of Darkness

Big Grin Colour Depths

Does that mean that (seeing as Transparancies take up 8-bits) the textures are only of 8-bit colour (only 256 colours)?
Welcome to the Darkness
Old 03-22-2002, 09:54 AM   #4
just some guy
Banned

Last edited by just some guy; 05-11-2002 at 12:15 PM.
just some guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 10:57 AM   #5
Jim Sachs
Developer

This is as good a place as any for technical issues. People can always skip any topics they don't like.

The internal calculations for blending, anti-aliasing, etc. are usually done in 32-bit (or higher) precision. After all the blending of channels is finished each pixel is converted to 16-bit for output to the monitor, with alternate pixels dithered to match whatever 32-bit color the pixel should actually have been. On a CRT at 1024x768 this is indisquishable from 32-bit color. On a Plasma display with 1024 physical pixels, you might be able to see the dithering with a magnifying glass, but I doubt it.
Jim Sachs

Last edited by Jim Sachs; 03-22-2002 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-22-2002, 12:01 PM   #6
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Inside: SereneScreen Aquarium
This is the SereneScreen Aquarium forum. We discuss the demo and registered versions of the screen saver, any features or fish suggestions we'd like to see in the future, hardware and software solutions and tweaks, and technical support.
Sounds like this topic fits within the purpose of this forum.

As for 32-bit, I have seen the Aquarium running natively in 32-bit. It looks identical.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 06:39 PM   #7
Swede
Registered

Darkness2k wrote:
Currently, Anti-Aliasing is not available for the screensaver (unless you can turn on some NVIDIA function to force anti aliasing in all 3D applications). However, a screensaver specific AA option would be handy so I do not have to keep turning on and off forced anti-aliasing.
Hmm...

With my grafx card I can have individual settings for all 3d applications. I can assign for each program it's own setting...
Antialiasing and all that...

When I start any 3D program (often the Aquarium, yes!), the card (well, the computer) changes all the settings automatically.
When the program ends, the settings are restored.

I think this function was also available in my old card... (tnt2 ultra)

Is this uncommon for grafx cards, or is it just a function every card has and people just don't know it's there?!
4x / F C Am G F C Am G //
Chorus: 3x /F C Am G F C Am G//

Last edited by Swede; 03-23-2002 at 04:34 AM.
Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 04:39 PM   #8
Shinsa
Registered

Thats a card specific application. My Voodoo 5 did not come with that option, but I have used utilities that would do just that. But I think it was a launcher itself, not quite as handy as yours.
Bob

"When you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Old 03-23-2002, 05:42 PM   #9
Darkness2k
The Lord of Darkness

I currently have a Geforce 3 Ti 500, and I used to have a Geforce 2 Ultra.... while my g/f has a Geforce 2 MX200.
None of these cards support seperate settings for each application from the display control panel by default.

As to the person that can set independant settings for each D3d or OpenGL application.. I believe the hercules 4500 uses the "Kyro" chipset which obviously gives completely different software to that of NVidia and its "Detonator" driver technology. I do not know what they offered with the "Riva TNT" because I used the Voodoo 3 3000 AGP at the time

As far as I can see, I can't see any "blending" on the fish, so I guess there is no point for 32-bit rendering. As soon as we get colour blending, then I suppose you can think about enhancing the display

Thanks for replying to me Mr. Sachs.
And thanks for bringing the world an amazing screensaver !
Welcome to the Darkness

Last edited by feldon34; 03-23-2002 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-23-2002, 06:13 PM   #10
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I think we're getting a little carried away on that signature image.

I've seen forums where every second signature is a 400x200 pixel picture of a BMW or other car.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 03-23-2002, 11:25 PM   #11
Jim Sachs
Developer

Darkness2K - You don't see any blending? The tails of the fish are not semi-transparent on your machine?
Jim Sachs
Old 03-24-2002, 06:30 AM   #12
Darkness2k
The Lord of Darkness

Embarassed

Sorry Jim, I meant "Colour Banding" where you can see strips of the same shade of colour etc (happens in 16bit etc)

I have Fish Fin transparancies

I dont see any colour banding, which is nice

And I've had this signature from being with "Neowin". And theres nothing wrong with expensive BMW's
(BMW M3 GTR STRAUSS 2002)
(oh and this sig is only 350*150!)
Welcome to the Darkness
Old 03-24-2002, 12:22 PM   #13
Jim Sachs
Developer

This illustrates my point. If the drivers are doing their job properly, there is no visual difference between 16 and 32-bit, including color banding. 16-bit is much more efficient in terms of speed and memory usage.
Jim Sachs
Old 03-24-2002, 04:10 PM   #14
Darkness2k
The Lord of Darkness

I see what you mean Jim.

Wonder if this rumour about "64-bit colour" in DirectX 9 will be true or not.... I doubt it!

I am a beta tester, so when I get it, i'll let you know whats new!
Welcome to the Darkness
Old 03-24-2002, 05:03 PM   #15
feldon34
Forum Administrator

You can't even see 32-bit color.

The human eye can see 7 million colors.

32 bit is 24 bits of color (16.7 million) and 8 bits of transparency (256 levels).

I guess Microsoft has caught the "who's got the biggest number" plague from Nintendo and Sony.

64-bit or 128-bit "graphics" is a joke. It's still 16 or 24 bit color. The difference is memory addressing capabilities.
Old 03-24-2002, 06:14 PM   #16
Darkness2k
The Lord of Darkness

Yeah I know that.
As far as I know, the Nintendo 64 actually said it had 32 bit graphics... but I guess the CPU was running at 64bit.... while the PS2 is at 128bit.
But that aside, I doubt Microsoft would say it did 64 bit colour unless its 24bit colour, 8 bit transparancies and another 32bits of something else associated with colour and graphics (who knows with Microsoft anymore)

Its more likely that it was a fake rumour mind.
Welcome to the Darkness
Old 03-25-2002, 09:54 PM   #17
flipper
Registered

The problem's not the # of total colors, but the # of colors per color value (or hue, I forget which.) That's due to the 8bits max per R, G, & B that make up the 24bit color info. 16bits per R, G, & B would mean 65535 possible "shades" for a given color value. Smooth gradients . Might as well throw 16bit alphas in as well since most chip "devices" work best on 32bit boundaries (for now )
flipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 05:40 AM   #18
Darkness2k
The Lord of Darkness

Will it actually look any better for us as we have limited view on colour as it is? (as feldon said earlier)

32 (or 24bit) has always looked smooth to me :S
Welcome to the Darkness
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive