Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 01-20-2002, 01:45 PM   #1
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Angry Screen Savers Not Associated?

I'm sure SereneScreen tech support (Steve and others) already have a script for this, but if your Screen Savers suddenly lose their association, and double-clicking on the Fish.scr icon does nothing, here's the solution (from <a href="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q140240">Microsoft</a>):

Standard disclaimers: Don't do this unless you feel comfortable inside the Registry. Ideally, you should backup your Registry before doing ANYTHING in there.

But realistically, these steps are very easy, and the only note I make is, if what I'm describing doesn't match exactly what you see, STOP and come here to the forum and explain the situation (or e-mail me privately). These steps have been tested to work on Windows 95, 98, 2000, and XP Pro.

1. Go to the Start menu and pick "Run..."

2. Type regedit and press OK.

3. Select "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT on Local Machine".

4. Scroll down to "scrfile" and double-click.

5. Double-click on "shell".

6. Double-click on "open".

7. On the right side of the window, there should be "<No Name> : REG_SZ : " and something after it.

8. Double-click on that line and it brings up a window. Type this EXACTLY (including the quotes and space between " and /S):

"%1" /S

9. Press OK and exit the Registry Editor.

If you have a window open with the Aquarium file (Fish.scr) or this file is on the Desktop, try pressing the F5 key to refresh. If it still doesn't get an icon and double-clicking it still produces an error, then Reboot your Windows system from the Start menu.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman

Last edited by feldon34; 05-18-2003 at 02:25 AM.
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 02:16 PM   #2
feldon34
Forum Administrator

In the chatroom, I was troubleshooting this very problem with someone (Bluesey) and we found that the steps above weren't enough. Apparently, some other registry pieces had been broken as well.

Rather than lay out more steps, I've prepared a Registry file that should do ALL of the steps above plus a few more. Again, it SHOULD work on Windows 95, 98, and 2000. Your mileage may vary (It worked for Bluesey).

https://www.feldoncentral.com/Sachs/restoreSCR.reg

Internet Explorer: Open this file from its location. Add the registry entries.

Netscape: Right-click on the link above and choose "Save Target As..." and then once you have got the file on your hard drive, double-click it and tell it to run.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell

Last edited by feldon34; 05-18-2003 at 02:26 AM.
Old 01-20-2002, 02:34 PM   #3
Jim Sachs
Developer

Just a qick note on exactly what "losing association" means, because this has been a recurring problem.

When you install other programs, especially Autocad, they can "take over" all files with an .scr extension. You would think that Autocad would use something more appropriate like .acd, but they decided to use the same extension that Microsoft forces all screensavers to use.

Therefore, if you have Autocad on your system, and double-click any file with an .scr extension, it will attempt to open in a word processor, and will usually fail with an error message. Also, right-clicking the icon will not bring up the normal screensaver options like "Configure" or "Install". Uninstalling Autocad still leaves the associations messed up in the Registry.

Thanks for the tutorial on repairing this, Morgan.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 02:05 AM   #4
Shinsa
Registered

Exclamation Re: Screen Savers Not Associated?

Originally posted by feldon23

These steps have been tested to work on Windows 95, 98, 2000, and XP Pro.

1. Go to the Start menu and pick "Run..."

2. Type regedt32 (not regedit32) and press OK.

Morgan, I never heard of "regedt32", ever. I thought maybe you had found a registry editor I had not known about in Windows. So I tried to run it. It does not exist in my version of Win 98se.

I have talked many people through the process of removing items from the registry, and always used "REGEDIT" to do this with.
Shinsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 08:21 AM   #5
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Agreed, on Win98SE I also use "Regedit" to be able to do the same thing.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 01:22 PM   #6
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I guess RegEdt32 is a Windows ME/2000/XP thing.

Yes, all of this can be done in Regedit of course. RegEdt32 is just a little bit nicer.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive