Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 01-07-2002, 07:13 AM   #21
foryeshua
Registered

Embarassed

I'm glad to see that they are testing things thoroughly before they release this version for download.

I've been in software development for 10 years now and I gotta say that this is the most incredible program I have ever seen!

Plus, isn't the anticipation of something new a big part of the fun?
foryeshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 09:57 AM   #22
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I don't think you have to leave this work for an algorithm, you have e-mail suport I know you weren't serious about that
Support needs to be able to look in an e-mail and plug the info into the database queuy and produce a keycode and mail it off quickly.

There are at least 2 full-time support people at SereneScreen, headed up by Steve, just for the Aquarium.

Occasionally I will get an e-mail from someone who thinks I am the official tech support and start demanding that I "make it work on their ancient system" or something, or demanding 1.0, etc. I'm half-tempted to put up a Wall of Shame of some of the e-mails, with names blotted out of course. But I think Jim would skin me alive.

If even 1/10th of the e-mails tech support gets are like many I get, I have nothing but empathy and sympathy for them.

I've felt that the 99L to 1.0 transition will be a nightmare and I guess I was right. :/
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman

Last edited by feldon34; 01-07-2002 at 10:05 AM.
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 10:16 AM   #23
Jim Sachs
Developer

The algorithm must be automatic. Steve already handles 200 emails a day, and the Key-switchover would add several hundred to that. Steve is supposed to be retired, and is now working harder than ever.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 08:23 PM   #24
Ricordia
Reef Keeper

Embarassed I see the light...

OK, I see now where the problem lies, and I do want to commend you, Jim, on wanting to produce something far above the norm. I had envisioned a process where I would go to a download page on the site, type in my registration code and the e-mail address I used to get that code, and would then either be taken to a page that has my new registration code and a link to download the new version, or to a page that says my registration code/e-mail pair doesn't match anything in the database, click here to e-mail tech support. This is the norm, and fairly trivial to code. What you are asking the developers for is certainly non-trivial and I will be very impressed if they get it working 100% in the next few months.

Now that I know where the delay is, I'll just go back to just watching the fish on my screen. Thanks again for an incredible program Jim!

Ricordia
Ricordia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 03:13 PM   #25
procerus
Registered

Angry Wow! A Lionfish!

Just to change the tone a bit here...

How *utterly wonderful* to hear that I'm getting a Lionfish for free! Thanks Jim.
procerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive