Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 05-22-2004, 10:56 PM   #1
aj58
Registered

Question StartScreenSaver

Yesterday I downloaded and purchased Marine Aquarium. I'm enjoying it so much I wanted to be able to start the screensaver without having to wait for the usual screensaver delay.

Today, I created the simplest and tiniest (15k) of utilities - StartScreenSaver which will launch my screensaver immediately. I figured others might like a copy of this utility too so here it is. (I've included the full Delphi source code in the zip file - all three or four lines of it.)

http://www.users.on.net/johnson/startss/

Last edited by aj58; 05-23-2004 at 02:03 AM.
aj58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 12:36 AM   #2
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

This is already possible by just double clicking the screensaver icon on your desktop or from the Programs menu.
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 12:43 AM   #3
AKcrab
Registered

Originally posted by patscarr
This is already possible by just double clicking the screensaver icon on your desktop or from the Programs menu.
Why would I have a screensaver icon on my desktop?
Are you talking about how to start the application? That's not really the same thing as starting the screensaver.
AKcrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 12:55 AM   #4
aj58
Registered

Hi Patrick.

Yes, point taken. However, I don't like icons on my desktop and I always seem to take ages finding anything in my start menu programs folder.

Anyhow, the utility works with whatever is the current screensaver - ie ready for whenever Freshwater Aquarium arrives .
aj58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 02:43 AM   #5
sunny
Registered

Originally posted by aj58
Anyhow, the utility works with whatever is the current screensaver - ie ready for whenever Freshwater Aquarium arrives .

normally the setup file will have a checkboxes to prompt whether you want to put the launch file in the taskbar ...
now , i get your point....thank you...

i will always have a link to my shortcutbar:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled.jpg (21.5 KB, 391 views)

.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>°

°o°°Oo°oO°
><(((°>° °<°)))><
sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 05:10 AM   #6
feldon34
Forum Administrator

AJ,

May I also suggest...

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 10:20 AM   #7
Lee
Registered

Ok I know this is a simple issue and I can't even believe I am posting this question but here goes any way.

When installing MA2 yes it does create a shortcut in the Programs menu. BUT, this is a broken icon and for some reason the .scr is not assocated with the correct application.

This doesn't make any sense because MA works fine in the screen saver mode.

What gives here ? The properties menu shows the correct target ..
"C:\WINNT\system32\Marine Aquarium 2.scr"

What am I missing here ? This is pretty basic stuff.

Lee
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 10:36 AM   #8
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Wasn't there something about the spaces in the name? Try renaming it MarineAquarium2.scr (and the shortcut of course)

Morg,
No Sharks?
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 10:50 AM   #9
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Tiny has it. Rename the file.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 11:18 AM   #10
Lee
Registered

Unhappy

Well as usual I can't find a simple explaination.

Apparently there is more to it than this, unfortuntely. It acts like there is a lack of assocation with an application and it doesn't know what to launch when you execute the .scr.

This is not specific to MA and so the renaming didn't help. But it was a good suggestion.

I found this in the MS knowledge base and I thought this would solve it (although it is for NT an I am on w2k) but no joy.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;104749

Appreciate the input, I guess I will just have to be "shortcutless".

Lee
Old 06-07-2004, 11:55 AM   #11
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Are you using Autocad? There are some other software groups that totally mess up things. Autocad takes over the .scr extension for example. Netmeeting also creates problems. Is there any other info that you can supply?
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 12:04 PM   #12
Lee
Registered

Michael, good suggestions. And nope not using Autocad. If I were wouldn't the .scr files launch Autocad instead of the SS ?

I was wondering if this was a windows security issue so that you couldn't execute a .scr file that arrived in an email. I know we block all inbound .scrs because they have low level privledges in most systems and can contain trojans or viruses.

I also thought it might be a rights issue but I am and administrator on this workstation so that couldn't be the problem.

This is no big deal and didn't want anyone to spend a lot of time on this one. It's just that it is one of those simple things that you scratch your head over and think "this can't be that complicated".

Lee
Old 06-07-2004, 12:25 PM   #13
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I've put together a registry script that will restore the .SCR extension as a screen saver by brute force. Look for it partway down the Help page on my website:
https://www.feldoncentral.com/Sachs/help.html
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 04:55 PM   #14
Lee
Registered

Thumbs Down

Morgan, you da man !

Your registry script worked like a champ and solved the problem.

Thanks !

Lee
Old 06-19-2004, 08:16 PM   #15
Duke
Registered

Thumbs Down

Same here - the script worked magic.

Thanks !

Duke
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive