Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 08-31-2003, 08:28 PM   #1
mcm7
Registered

DVD Update?

Hello,

Is there any news/update on a DVD version of the Marine Aquarium?

There is an extremely large amount of consumers out there who now have (or will soon purchase) high quality TVs/displays and DVD players but are not adept at or have no interest in such things as HTPCs.

The Plasma TV community alone would LOVE to purchase a DVD of your incredible aquarium. You could even release multiple DVD versions, one for the MA, one for the freshwater, etc. Can you say CASH COW?

WAF (wife acceptance factor) would go through the roof if they saw your aquarium on high-end displays at the local AV store.

While I understand and respect the fan community here and their enthusiasm and desire for more features, fish, coral, etc.....I have no doubt that the DVD version could be the biggest and best thing to happen to the serenescreen aquarium.

I have shown the screensaver to many friends and family, and I always get the same reaction:

They say: "That is the best screensaver I've ever seen! Where can I get it?"

Then I say: "Imagine putting that on your TV / Plasma / etc."

They say: "I can? Is it on DVD?"

Please please please tell me that someone is working on the DVD.

-Martin
mcm7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 08:35 PM   #2
feldon34
Forum Administrator

One must assume it's been cancelled.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to yell at me for saying that.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 01:17 AM   #3
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

YELL! (j/k )

I agree with Martin on that it would be a much desired product, not because of technical superiority, but rather the convenience.

Perhaps it's postponed in wait of the wide version as most DVDers would run it one a widescreen display?

/Tiny Stab in the Dark
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 04:26 AM   #4
cjmaddy
Registered

Me too! (Yell!) ............... hope you're right Tiny.

Come on Prolific, - get your finger out! ..... (British humorous comment!!!)
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 07:48 AM   #5
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by Tiny Turtle
Perhaps it's postponed in wait of the wide version as most DVDers would run it one a widescreen display?
They could easily use the 1.1.6 Wide version to produce the DVD if they wanted. And a bit of programming would allow Ken's 5 new fish to be used in the 1.1.6 Wide.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 09-01-2003, 08:42 AM   #6
Jim Sachs
Developer

I've seen it at Fry's and on Ebay. Interest has been less than expected, and I doubt that Prolific would do another.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 08:49 AM   #7
feldon34
Forum Administrator

With zero promotion or word of mouth, it's tough to compete with the other products out there. I didn't even know it was out which is why there's been no mention on the website.

Next time @ Fry's, I'll look.
Old 09-01-2003, 09:40 AM   #8
mcm7
Registered

Originally posted by feldon27
With zero promotion or word of mouth, it's tough to compete with the other products out there.
EXACTLY!

Here are 3 popular sites where the DVD should be promoted:

http://www.avsforum.com
http://www.hometheaterspot.com
http://www.hometheaterforum.com

If it's a quality (fullscreen and widescreen!) DVD, I guarantee that sales would take off! Forget the retail chain stores, the internet sales demand would be enough.

Mr. Sachs, your aquarium is so incredible, I just think it's a shame that it hasn't been taken to the next level for large screen displays.

Morgan or anyone else, if an official widescreen DVD was released at Fry's, etc, I will gladly pay double the price and shipping for your trouble.

-Martin
mcm7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 10:54 AM   #9
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Time for me to go to Fry's and buy another copy of the Aquarium. This'll make 5 copies.
Old 09-01-2003, 04:40 PM   #10
Jim Sachs
Developer

Don't bother, it's not widescreen.
Jim Sachs
Old 09-01-2003, 05:27 PM   #11
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Ugh.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:45 PM   #12
iMark
Registered

I bought it on eBay, I love it. I run it all the time when we're not watching television... In fact it convinced me to buy a new computer, because the fish swim so much faster and smoother than on the one I had(I had an iMac DV and upgraded to a 17" iMac2). My only wish is that they had used the Mac widescreen version, the coral is a tad bit stretched on a 16:9 telly, but, in all honesty, it's amazing on the plasma. They should really push the marketing, a dozen people I know have bought the dvd and/or the screensaver since seeing mine. Now I'm hoping for a goldfish version dvd, when they get to the point where they can do it.
iMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 09:52 PM   #13
BigScreen
Registered

Those of you looking to get your aquarium fix on your TV should check out the Aquaria DVD:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...l/-/B00005OW0E

These are real fish swimming in real tanks, set to some of the most annoying "relaxing" music I've heard in quite some time. Thankfully, you can set the audio to "bubbles" for that authentic aquarium feeling...

You can get 5 tanks in the 2-disc set above, or they are sold separately as well. Both widescreen (full tank view) and 4:3 close-ups are done, the Amazon description even says the widescreen is anamorphic.

While they aren't the TV version of the SereneScreen Aquarium, the DVD is worth the purchase price.

When I get a projector, you can bet this DVD (I've got the DVD-18 flipper) will be in one of my players often!
Scott J.
Publisher of The BigScreen Cinema Guide
BigScreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 12:12 AM   #14
Jim Sachs
Developer

We discussed this one a year or two ago, and I bought it. It's not bad.
Jim Sachs
Old 09-12-2003, 05:33 PM   #15
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Looked at the Marine Aquarium DVD today (It was under M for Marine, not S for SereneScreen/SereneScene). It was marked $9.95.

Without widescreen, it's hard to recommend it. Also I wonder what the compression looks like since there are 2 hours of video on this disc.

Aquaria was $19.95.
Old 09-12-2003, 07:06 PM   #16
BigScreen
Registered

You may also be able to find DVD's of the individual tanks for under $10, which lowers the price of admission.

From the Amazon.com description:

The Exotic Aquarium
The Natural Aquarium
The Freshwater Aquarium
The Classic Aquarium
The Coral Reef Aquarium

All five programs can be found on Aquaria: The Complete Aquarium Collection.

For those who just can't wait for the Freshwater Aquarium to be released, this could be the next best thing. (Too bad you can run a DVD as a screen saver...)
Scott J.
Publisher of The BigScreen Cinema Guide
BigScreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 05:18 AM   #17
iMark
Registered

Smile

I have the Aquaria one, too...and I think that, unless you are playing the loop of the close-ups, it's preatty lame. Several of the tanks are cloudy, and/or the lighting is really bad. I really can't stand to have it on after getting the SS Aquarium. Like I said, my only complaint is that they didn't use the wide-screen version, but the regular version isn't stretched to the point where it looks strange. I only notice it because I run the wide-screen version on my Macs...oh, and they never show the starfish on the glass...

If you want to see amazing fish on a widescreen plasma, I'd recommend the Blue Planet series from the BBC, esp. the Coral Seas. It will knock your socks off. Every episode in this series is amazing, but the Coral Seas is my favorite...of course, the fish are in their natural habitat and not in a tank, so it's not like having a virtual saltwater tank...

For that...you can't beat the MA dvd..I can take my virtual pets back and forth from London to the States...have fish will travel...
iMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 09:59 AM   #18
cjmaddy
Registered

The Blue Planet !

iMark, - I couldn't agree more! - It will indeed - "... knock your socks off!"
Anyone who is interested, should take a look at the Blue Planet thread:-
https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums...=&threadid=492
A few of us got a little carried away on that thread may be! - but I can strongly recommend it!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 11:29 AM   #19
Edgar
Prolific/SereneScreen Developer

1 Highscore

I see Encore is selling the DVD version.

http://www.encoresoftware.com/dbdriv...arine+aquarium
Edgar Tolentino
Prolific Developer

www.prolific.com
www.LifeGlobe.com
Edgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 12:46 AM   #20
EdPerkins
Registered

Angry Marine Aquarium the DVD at Best Buy

Hi,

The DVD thread still lives!

I just found the "Marine Aquarium the DVD" at Best Buy for $5.99! I like how the backcover states in a movie like wording: Prolific Publishing and SereneScreen Present a JIM SACHS PRODUCTION "MARINE AQUARIUM" The next three lines list all the actors (Fish)

What a great deal! Now can someone tell me why doesn't Prolific sell the DVD directly?

Ed
EdPerkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive