Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 06-15-2006, 12:59 PM   #1401
schneb
Registered

Love The Newcomer

I love the new Achilles Tang. Takes me back to snorkeling in Maui. Did my video help design her? A great reproduction of its color--just as I remembered it.

Quick question. Would it be possible to fake sea anemone movement by dissolving between two, three or four backgrounds? Perhaps doing this in only the areas that require movement? I have posted an example in the link below. It was made in Flash with only two images.

http://www.schneblin.com/misc/anemone.html

Could this help create movement without taxing the CPU?
schneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 01:44 PM   #1402
johnblommers
The Architect

What resolution?

Originally posted by Wombat:
I've just got Marine Aquarium V2.6, and it is great. I send the output from my computer to my widescreen LCD TV via a TV Out S1-video connection, and it is magic. ...  
Hey Wombat, what resolution do you have your HDTV set to when you display the MA screen saver on it?

480p
720p
1080p

I would expect serious pixelation because the coral and stuff is relatively low res. As we speak I am using a Dell 2405FPW 24-inch LCD panel set to millions of colors and 1920x1200 resolution. The coral and stuff is rather blocky and pixelated.

Take a look at the attached screenshot.

C'mon back ....

- John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 1.jpg (220.4 KB, 78 views)
Reasons people don't watch Star Trek:
60% - It’s for nerds.
39% - The show’s stupid.
01% - My parents were killed by Klingons and it's still too painful.
johnblommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 04:43 PM   #1403
Jim Sachs
Developer

Schneb - Not sure if that actually gives the impression of movement. It just looks a little blurry to me. The technique I'm working on will run an actual animation in certain areas of the screen. Waiting for my new HD videocam to arrive.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 06:41 PM   #1404
schneb
Registered

I guess I made it too subtle. I have my Sony HD camera and it is alot of fun! Had to buy the Intel iMac just to edit the footage!
Old 06-15-2006, 10:43 PM   #1405
Jim Sachs
Developer

Which camcorder did you get? I ordered the little HVR-A1U.
Jim Sachs
Old 06-15-2006, 10:56 PM   #1406
schneb
Registered

HD

I have the HDR-HC1 Sony. I got it off eBay. Except for a few things here and there, it does a nice job for a hobbyist like myself.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:58 PM   #1407
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Morg,
The link in the first post of this thread looks a bit flaky. Might want to edit it (minor issue).
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 03:31 PM   #1408
schneb
Registered

Flaky? How so? What would you change?
Old 06-16-2006, 03:33 PM   #1409
drfish
the Doc

Making the link work for starters...
I don't watch commercials.
drfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 03:46 PM   #1410
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by Tiny Turtle:
Morg,
The link in the first post of this thread looks a bit flaky. Might want to edit it (minor issue).  
Fixed. Thanks!
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 03:46 AM   #1411
Wombat
Registered

[quote=johnblommers]Hey Wombat, what resolution do you have your HDTV set to when you display the MA screen saver on it?

480p
720p
1080p

I would expect serious pixelation because the coral and stuff is relatively low res. As we speak I am using a Dell 2405FPW 24-inch LCD panel set to millions of colors and 1920x1200 resolution. The coral and stuff is rather blocky and pixelated.

Take a look at the attached screenshot.

C'mon back ....

- John

Hi John,
My LCD TV is capable of 720p/1080i but I'm not using HDTV resolution as I'm only using a standard resolution Digital set-top box for TV. For Serenescreen, I plug the S-Video TV-out connector on my laptop to the S-Video input on the TV. The normal resolution on my laptop is 1440x900 but if I set Serenescreen to that, the display on the TV is badly clipped. The TV display is 1386x768 (WXGA). So I set Serenescreen to the nearest available resolution (1024x768) and that looks OK, although not as good as it does on the computer at 1440x900. I get no blocky or pixillated pictures that you see, but perhaps that is because my S-Video cable is 20metres long, and I must suffer some high frequency attenuation.
Regards,
Wombat (That's rednosed, not hairynosed)
Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 08:13 AM   #1412
feldon34
Forum Administrator

The Aquarium is 1024 x 768.
The Aquarium set to widescreen is 1280 x 768.
Perfect for running 1280 x 720 (720p).
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 06-22-2006, 03:00 PM   #1413
edaniels
Goldfish Aquarium Developer

Hey, Jim et al....

Anybody notice the nod from Jon Stewart on The Daily Show the other night? He was talking about some marine preserve off Hawaii, and said something like "the area is home to thousands of species of fish, and has inspired our most fascinating screensavers."

I know yours is not technically a screensaver, but clearly he was referring to your Marine Aquarium.
----------------------------------
E R I C D A N I E L S, a n i m a t o r
Goldfish Aquarium Screensaver
----------------------------------
edaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 03:11 PM   #1414
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Perhaps he meant the Hawaiian salt water goldfish of your tank? (at least it's fascinating )
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 04:45 PM   #1415
johnblommers
The Architect

Copy that

Hi John,
My LCD TV is capable of 720p/1080i but I'm not using HDTV resolution as I'm only using a standard resolution Digital set-top box for TV. For Serenescreen, I plug the S-Video TV-out connector on my laptop to the S-Video input on the TV. The normal resolution on my laptop is 1440x900 but if I set Serenescreen to that, the display on the TV is badly clipped. The TV display is 1386x768 (WXGA). So I set Serenescreen to the nearest available resolution (1024x768) and that looks OK, although not as good as it does on the computer at 1440x900. I get no blocky or pixillated pictures that you see, but perhaps that is because my S-Video cable is 20metres long, and I must suffer some high frequency attenuation.
Regards,
Wombat (That's rednosed, not hairynosed)  
Cool, thanks for sharing your video resolution setup, Wombat. The bandwidth available for S-video over your 20-foot cable will have a smoothing effect due to the low pass filtering. Plus you're not shooting for the very high 1080p resolution.

I know how nice Serenescreen can look even on a huge HD screen like 52-inches or so, though you do have to step back to appreciate the colors and composition. I saw this last year at a CompUSA where the had an HP media center PC hooked to it, and LO! they had the Serenescreen saver running.

The Serenescreen that ships with MS Media Center has the nice blue gravel - that blue gravel is not available for the Mac version, and I have not found a way to pursuade Jim Sachs to remedy that product gap

Take care!

- John
Reasons people don't watch Star Trek:
60% - It’s for nerds.
39% - The show’s stupid.
01% - My parents were killed by Klingons and it's still too painful.
johnblommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 05:02 PM   #1416
feldon34
Forum Administrator

The TV display is 1386x768 (WXGA). So I set Serenescreen to the nearest available resolution (1024x768) and that looks OK, although not as good as it does on the computer at 1440x900.  
The Aquarium will run at 1280 x 768 which should look better. Set the Aquarium to Widescreen.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:18 AM   #1417
Jim Sachs
Developer

Eric - Yes, my daughter and I happened to be watching Jon Stewart when he said that. We both looked at each other and laughed.
Jim Sachs
Old 06-26-2006, 01:40 AM   #1418
Wombat
Registered

Originally posted by feldon30:
The Aquarium will run at 1280 x 768 which should look better. Set the Aquarium to Widescreen.  
Mine won't set to 1280x768 - only to 1280x800, and when I set to that, the TV clips about 10% from the sides, and if I turn widescreen on, it still clips the sides and goes to letterbox, with black bands top and bottom.
I guess I will stick to 1024x768, which fills the TV screen nicely.
Thanks anyway.
Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 11:41 AM   #1419
waderobb1
Registered

Just a note regarding the product. Everybody, EVERYBODY!, that comes by loves the screensaver. I sent a note the other day about stuff I would enjoy seeing and thought I would add it here. On a program I use for pictures, Thumbs Plus Pro, they have a loupe that will move around the screen. My son is really into the tropical environment as we just visited Hawaii and I would love to see this feature on the screen for detailed study of the scene. It could be pulled around by the mouse or allowed to wander. The picture program allows for up to 800% magnification.
waderobb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 01:01 PM   #1420
Jim Sachs
Developer

The only problem with a magnified view is that someone (me) would have to put in all that detail.
Jim Sachs
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows