Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 08-14-2006, 11:07 AM   #1441
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Well with the high res textures some of the fish options that might not have been doable before should hopefully come available now. I don't know if it could be a simple checkbox, or if when the light auto-changes at certain times it would fade in and out, or some combination of both. There would be several creatures/fish that would benefit from this option and make a difference.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 06:20 AM   #1442
paulb
Registered

Having holidayed in Hawai'i a couple of times, the one fish that would remind me of those great holidays would be the Humuhumunukunukuapua'a or Reef Trigger fish. I don't know the latin name for it but, for me, it is a symbol of Hawai'i (but then I am English), as we always saw it when snorkelling - I've even got a Red Dirt shirt of one.
paulb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 12:17 PM   #1443
feldon34
Forum Administrator

The Humu trigger is already in the Aquarium. It's called the Picasso Triggerfish.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 01:23 AM   #1444
sharklover
Registered

I still have 2.0 and haven't upgraded to 3 but if there is still no jellyfish I would like to see them added in the future
sharklover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 10:42 AM   #1445
Jim Sachs
Developer

I've always planned to add jellyfish, but lately I'm wondering how practical it would be. I've never seen jellys mixed with other fish in an aquarium, though they certainly are in the open ocean. I'm wondering if the fish would immediately tear them apart, or if the jellys would poison the fish.

It's true that with an electronic aquarium I have used a little artistic license in mixing critters, but I don't want to stray very far from reality. Originally, I was not going to put in a chambered nautilus because I had never seen one in a reef tank, but last year my local shop had three of them mixed in with the normal fish population until they were sold. They are not really long-lived critters, but we don't have to worry about that.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 12:19 PM   #1446
johnblommers
The Architect

New Rules

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
I've always planned to add jellyfish, but lately I'm wondering how practical it would be. I've never seen jellys mixed with other fish in an aquarium, though they certainly are in the open ocean. I'm wondering if the fish would immediately tear them apart, or if the jellys would poison the fish.

It's true that with an electronic aquarium I have used a little artistic license in mixing critters, but I don't want to stray very far from reality. Originally, I was not going to put in a chambered nautilus because I had never seen one in a reef tank, but last year my local shop had three of them mixed in with the normal fish population until they were sold. They are not really long-lived critters, but we don't have to worry about that.  
So when you add in the jellyfish, have your developers add some logic in fish selection that prevents mixing fish and jelly. So when will those be done, Jim
Reasons people don't watch Star Trek:
60% - It’s for nerds.
39% - The show’s stupid.
01% - My parents were killed by Klingons and it's still too painful.
johnblommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 12:54 PM   #1447
Jim Sachs
Developer

My developers? Let me look around the house.....nope, I don't see any developers.

No reason to invent a completion date (as if software is ever "completed"), but I've made good progress this week. At the moment, I'm working on the most distant objects in the background, and they don't need to be quite as detailed as the foreground objects. I still have no idea how I'm going to animate the swaying corals.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-24-2007, 02:56 PM   #1448
johnblommers
The Architect

In a Mirror, Darkly

My developers? Let me look around the house.....nope, I don't see any developers.  
OK. Next time you're in the "reading room" look in the mirror, there is your developer, then

I still have no idea how I'm going to animate the swaying corals.  
I thought coral was solid stuff. But if something has to sway, then it is rooted in place at the bottom, and the mesh vertices's range of motion increases towards the free end. The plantings should all move roughly in unison as they move in sympathy with the local prevailing currents. The same currents effect the local fish. That's what I'd expect to see at any rate. Others with a better eye to reality will no doubt be able to add clarity.

A final note, I read it years ago:

Artists ship

So I hope you will set a realistic deadline for your development The sooner you ship the sooner I get my Mac OS X version, right

Best ...

- John
60% - It’s for nerds.
39% - The show’s stupid.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:50 PM   #1449
Jim Sachs
Developer

Dead coral is hard, live coral is soft. I know what they should look like swaying (not in unison, but in a wave pattern). We had a major discussion about this in another thread, the gyst of which was: I create the objects in LightWave. Lightwave is excellent at creating object morph animations, but the third-party plugin for LightWave which can save in the necessary DirectX format doesn't properly handle the animation structure. The only available instructions for this plugin are in Japanese.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-24-2007, 07:58 PM   #1450
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I'm sure Reichart knows someone. Forward the Read Me to him.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 02-24-2007, 08:11 PM   #1451
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

Or maybe Celine could help you.
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
ESHIREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 08:38 PM   #1452
johnblommers
The Architect

What about OpenGL

Lightwave is excellent at creating object morph animations, but the third-party plugin for LightWave which can save in the necessary DirectX format doesn't properly handle the animation structure.  
How portable would the proprietary DirectX animation format be to the Mac which uses the open industry standard OpenGL?

You know me, always thinking about cross platform compatibility

- John
60% - It’s for nerds.
39% - The show’s stupid.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:30 PM   #1453
Jim Sachs
Developer

The PC version has always been DirectX. The Mac version (translated by Jim O'Connor) has always been OpenGL.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-25-2007, 09:39 AM   #1454
feldon34
Forum Administrator

And from peeking at the Mac version, I can tell you that it uses a wrapper to read the DirectX models, rather than converting all 28 fish into OpenGL objects.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:09 AM   #1455
waderobb1
Registered

Aquarium on the big screen

I just wanted to let you know that this screensaver looks great on giant overhead screens! I used my laptop for a presentation at church where we have 2 - 15' X 15' (approximately) screens. I was letting a slideshow run and the screen saver kicked in. I think they liked the fish as much as my pictures.
waderobb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 08:13 AM   #1456
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

WOW.................... I bet they did.
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
ESHIREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:14 PM   #1457
johnblommers
The Architect

I did it on purpose

Originally posted by waderobb1:
I just wanted to let you know that this screensaver looks great on giant overhead screens! I used my laptop for a presentation at church where we have 2 - 15' X 15' (approximately) screens. I was letting a slideshow run and the screen saver kicked in. I think they liked the fish as much as my pictures.  
I have the Marine Aquarium program on my ancient Apple Powerbook, a 500Mhz G3 unit with only 8 Meg of VRAM. Even so the frame rate is very decent at thousands of colors. I use this laptop (yeah! Still !) at work and purposefully put up the program on the overhead projector to sooth the atmosphere in the conference room.

Last weekend I was at Fry's Electronics and after drooling over the Apple 30-inch displays in the Mac section I wandered over to look at the PC section and there were dozens and dozens of computers running the Marine Aquarium Screen saver, most with that cool blue gravel not found on the Mac version.
60% - It’s for nerds.
39% - The show’s stupid.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:55 PM   #1458
drfish
the Doc

That would be the Goldfish aquarium then, right? The only one with blue gravel is the one that comes with XP MCE 2005.
I don't watch commercials.
drfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:58 PM   #1459
johnblommers
The Architect

Blue with enby

Originally posted by drfish:
That would be the Goldfish aquarium then, right? The only one with blue gravel is the one that comes with XP MCE 2005.  
Hey Doc,

You're right it has to be the Goldfish Aquarium according to Eric's post. As a Mac user I feel blue with envy of the Windows Multimedia Edition version of GA with that wonderful blue gravel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gold_new16x9.jpg (47.6 KB, 27 views)
60% - It’s for nerds.
39% - The show’s stupid.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:12 PM   #1460
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Too bad you're not me as I don't envy it one bit. What happened to the clean Apple look? That one looks like a kids version.
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows