Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 11-22-2001, 01:15 PM   #21
Electronic Punk
Twisted Animator

I imagine that some people don't know how to unzip a file to their windows directory, so you need a 3 meg installer to do it

Waht else is on the CD?
Electronic Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2001, 02:27 PM   #22
Jim Sachs
Developer

Just a demo of My friend Mike Crick's WordZap game.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2001, 03:28 PM   #23
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Jim declined my request for an all-expenses paid flight to California and video interview. :/
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2001, 03:47 PM   #24
grape_jellyfish
Registered

Angry

I wonder why....

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....It's learning to Dance in the Rain.
grape_jellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2001, 04:19 PM   #25
feldon34
Forum Administrator

His honest answer is that he doesn't really like interviews or anyone to see or take pictures of his workroom (some might say laboratory!).
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 11-23-2001, 03:09 AM   #26
Lightfeather

Embarassed

I live in California. I could do the interview, but what else do you want to ask that you can't ask here? I mean it would be cool to run up and touch Jim, squeal and run back to a group of friends exclaiming, "He's really real! And I TOUCHED him! Yes yes I know. You can all touch my hand."

But that would probably alienate him from society and one day, twenty years from now, he'll make a statement that some freak of a girl scared him into seclusion. Someone might then send me something unpleasant in the mail as a result. And that would be bad. So I think personal interviews are scary for the interviewer as well as the interviewee and thus must be left very much alone.

Unless you like unpleasant things sent to you in the mail. Then by all means, let the giggling begin!

This nonsense has been brought to you by the letter S and by viewers like you.

*This has been a post from Lightfeather. Everything you read can and will be held against you in a court of lawyers telling jokes about regular people. Don’t worry. The jokes are all bad and no one pays attention to them anyway.*

--- End Transmission --
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
Lightfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2001, 09:30 PM   #27
hayc59
VoodØØ Child™

Thumbs Down

I'm Gonna Buy One and Never ,Never ,Ever Open It!!!
ãrê ¥Øu êxpêriêncêÐ
Never Forget

God Bless America

hayc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2001, 11:43 AM   #28
Spyder
Registered

A 1.6 meg install is fairly small. Something that small would take me between 5 and 10 minutes to put together an installer in Wise Installation System 9. What installation program are you using that makes the process so long?
Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2001, 11:52 AM   #29
Jim Sachs
Developer

It's a homebrew from Prolific. Their programmers do have the size down to about 1.6 megs, but that still won't fit on a floppy, so it's not acceptable yet. The whole idea is that the user can download the program to a floppy, then install it on a different computer.

There's just no reason that a simple installation program should be more than 300k. I'm sure you have seen some of those amazing 64k demos that others have been talking about here in the Forum.
Jim Sachs
Old 11-24-2001, 01:38 PM   #30
feldon34
Forum Administrator

A 1.6 meg install is fairly small. Something that small would take me between 5 and 10 minutes to put together an installer in Wise Installation System 9. What installation program are you using that makes the process so long?
They've tried several versions of Wise. In fact, the latest is, they've sent the files off to Wise to let THEM figure out how to make it small.
Old 11-25-2001, 12:50 AM   #31
Socrates
Sage

Alot of programs come in two download versions. With installer and without installer.

could you do a "without installer" and you could discalim installation support for that version?
Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2001, 10:03 AM   #32
MadBob
Guitar Man

Installer

Jim

I am sat here with a Sachs Marine Aquarium installation I just did, and the size is 1.34mb it installs staight into the Windows/system folder and works of variables not direct path to install, you can even install to the all users desktop and set it to be installable only if Admin rights are there (if you want to)

all you need is Inno Setup Builder and Scriptmaker, they are customizable for all Win32 OS's and completely free to use (yes freeware)

If you need more info email me madbob@zuppa.co.uk
MadBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2001, 11:15 AM   #33
feldon34
Forum Administrator

It has to install properly on Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000, and XP and install itself as a screen saver on each, plus it needs to leave behind a script so Add/Remove Programs works.

And it should have some kind of photo of the Aquarium.
Old 11-25-2001, 03:49 PM   #34
MadBob
Guitar Man

Smile I have emailed it to the service dept.

I sent the installer 1.37mb (currently got it down to 1.36mb and I am not really trying) which just scrapes onto a floppy with 29,696 bytes to spare <phew!> this includes some text info and a setup image which can all be altered to suit the 1.0 version,

anyway we'll see if it's good enough for them and take it from there.
MadBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2001, 05:31 PM   #35
Socrates
Sage

Originally posted by feldon23
It has to install properly on Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000, and XP and install itself as a screen saver on each, plus it needs to leave behind a script so Add/Remove Programs works.

And it should have some kind of photo of the Aquarium.
I just downloaded it and tried it.

It compiles it as a standard WINDOWS INSTALLER setup.exe. I suppose that would work on any Win32 system. The way I compiled it it uses {sys}\ as the directory (ie Windows\system\ or winnt\system\32 or whatever). It creates an ADD/REMOVE entry. It creates a URL link, a shortcut, and uninstall icon in "Sachs Marine Aquarium" startup group. It creates a desktop icon to run as a program as gives the option to add a quickstart tool bar icon.

It's 1,387 KB.

It has a lot of options and lot's of varibles. It's pretty damn nice.
Old 11-26-2001, 04:43 AM   #36
Lightfeather

Would it mater if the file system is NTFS? All XP machines are NTFS unless the user changes it. (When bought straight from the store with the OS installed already.)
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
Lightfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2001, 10:10 AM   #37
Spyder
Registered

ohhhh

I gotcha. Maybe I didn't read close enough before posting... you want it to fit on a floppy.

I'm pretty sure theres a lot of freeware tools out there that have low overhead for the installer. Wise isn't too bad but I'm not sure if you'll get it on floppy or not... perhaps try Maximum Compression in the installation properties? Also, and obviously, the less you have in the script, the smaller the installer will be as well.

Anyways.. you obviously know what you're doing. keep up the good work jim. and thanks for the aquarium!

Ryan
Old 11-26-2001, 10:30 AM   #38
Jim Sachs
Developer

Just to be clear on this - Prolific is handling the issue of the installer. I have nothing to do with it, except to reject the idea of the filesize being too big.
Jim Sachs
Old 11-26-2001, 12:12 PM   #39
Spyder
Registered

prolific! those guys should get their arses in gear hehehe
Old 11-26-2001, 02:26 PM   #40
Socrates
Sage

Originally posted by Jim Sachs
Just to be clear on this - Prolific is handling the issue of the installer. I have nothing to do with it, except to reject the idea of the filesize being too big.
We know. But being the arm-chair cyber jockies that we are, we just can't resist being persnickity about a problem which we don't ACTUALLY have to deal with. It's fun for us.

And it gives something inane to do while we twiddle our thumbs anticipating a new version. (I think we're obsessed.)
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive