Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 04-14-2003, 09:14 PM   #181
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

While we are discussing browsers..... With NS 7 this Quick Reply box is 33 characters wide. With NS 4.8 it is 50 and in IE 6 it is 52 characters. Would it be possible to make this a bit wider now that I have upgraded to 7? Please. (and in the edit box as well)
And.... in IE 6 the forward feature does not work. Going from "view new messages" I hang with the Your search is in progress and you will be taken to the results in a moment. Thank you for your patience.

Click here if you do not want to wait any longer
(or if your browser does not automatically forward you)
Probably something wrong with "my" setup but .......

Thanks
Ralph

Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889 – 1951)
The limits of my language are the limits of my mind. All I know is what I have words for.
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 09:45 PM   #182
SouthPaw42
Registered

Yea post a bug report to Netscape about not following XHTML standards.
SouthPaw42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 10:27 PM   #183
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by Ralph
While we are discussing browsers..... With NS 7 this Quick Reply box is 33 characters wide. With NS 4.8 it is 50 and in IE 6 it is 52 characters. Would it be possible to make this a bit wider now that I have upgraded to 7? Please. (and in the edit box as well)
In other words, you want vBulletin to work around ANOTHER bug in Netscape.

vBulletin has a universal input box width, and then various compatibility settings to deal with Netscape's inconsistancies.

And.... in IE 6 the forward feature does not work. Going from "view new messages" I hang with the Your search is in progress and you will be taken to the results in a moment. Thank you for your patience.
Have you got some kind of pop-up stopper/blocker/etc.?

If this were a widespread problem, it would have been fixed in a point release of vB. hmm...
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 10:28 PM   #184
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by SouthPaw42
Yea post a bug report to Netscape about not following XHTML standards.
Not that the creators of XHTML, w3.org, are any better. Try using the HTML or CSS Validators at their website if you want to see how crazy the people who are supposed to be setting the standards are.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 04-15-2003, 04:50 AM   #185
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

A quick look at the page source reveals that the textarea is defined as rows="7" cols="40". So neither browser gets it right.
At almost 25 m long Liopleurodon was the biggest carnivore that ever existed. It had an enormous 3 metre long mouth which contained teeth twice as long as those of Tyrannosaurus.
  Ronald Zaalberg, Creator of Fish Picker
Mountainmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 10:17 AM   #186
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Hmm....

I've changed NS6/7 to 50 cols.
Attached Images
File Type: gif textarea.gif (4.4 KB, 199 views)
Old 04-15-2003, 05:11 PM   #187
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

Originally posted by feldon27
Have you got some kind of pop-up stopper/blocker/etc.?
If this were a widespread problem, it would have been fixed in a point release of vB. hmm...
Beats me....... nothing that I am aware of, I did make some changes in the "security" of internet settings in an attempt to stop pop ups....

So, I reset it to "normal" and now the problem is gone .
Thanks
Old 05-08-2003, 03:36 PM   #188
cjmaddy
Registered

Morgan,

Is this just my system, or have you changed something?

I don't know what you've done, if anything, but for the past 2 or 3 days, the forum pages have downloaded about 4 or 5 times quicker! ....... Great!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 04:36 PM   #189
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I mentioned this earlier in the thread here but I can extrapolate on it some more now.

Internet Explorer 4+ and Netscape 4+ both support receiving the HTML part of a website in GZIP format. This has to be one of the most oft-ignored features of these browsers!

In other words, you can be browsing through a website and each page arrives at your computer in a sort of WinZip format which your web browser transparently unzips and displays.

For broadband users, the delay of the web server GZIPping the page up, sending it, and your browser extracting the GZIP probably negates any possible speed benefit.

BUT!! For modem and/or ISDN users, the speed difference is massive!

The average forum page here is 120-160kb of HTML (this is excluding the pictures!). On a modem, even with compression on, this could easily take 20-30 seconds to download.

However, with MOD_GZIP turned on, the page is already compressed before it is sent. A 120-160kb page of HTML becomes a 8-14kb GZIP package (that is not a typo!).

Now, the HTML comes in in 2-5 seconds.

So the question is, why was GZIP turned off on the release dates of MA2, GA, and the whole time I was on vacation?

We are on a semi-dedicated webhost, which means we have a "slice" of a dedicated dual 1.2 GHz P4 server with tons of RAM and hard drive.

GZIP is *very* CPU and memory intensive. Actually, my webhost told me that they don't recommend me using it, but the speed benefits were too attractive to pass up. The only time I turn off GZIP is if I expect forum traffic to hit 75-85 users within a 30 minute period. At this point, so many pages are going out and being GZIPped that the CPU and memory are getting bogged down.

Rather than leave it off and expect Michael to check in every hour to see if GZIP is causing problems, I pre-emptively turned it off.

I have asked the vBulletin people to add a feature to throttle, or switch off GZIP automatically when the user count goes over X and then turn it back on afterwards.

I might write this code myself.
Old 05-08-2003, 05:52 PM   #190
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

This only works for IE 4+ and NS 4+? Is it totally seemless at our end, can we tell if the page is / was sent zipped?
Just an idle curiosity......

Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889 – 1951)
The limits of my language are the limits of my mind. All I know is what I have words for.
Old 05-08-2003, 09:05 PM   #191
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Yes.

http://leknor.com/code/gziped.php

That will tell you IF a page came GZIPped and if it wasn't, it will tell you what savings you'd get if it were GZIPped. The 1200% reduction was eye-popping and hard to resist.
Old 05-09-2003, 01:58 AM   #192
cjmaddy
Registered

Originally posted by feldon27
The 1200% reduction was eye-popping and hard to resist.
It sure is !!!!!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 04:30 AM   #193
Yellow Tang
YT

Tournaments Won: 1

Broadband here, so the speed is slightly slower, but still fast enough!

Another question:
Is it possible to turn off all those GA threads when I click the "View new posts" link at the startpage?
Yellow Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 09:00 AM   #194
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I know there have been a few requests for this. I'll look into it. I could probably give you a link that you would bookmark, but to make it a "setting" for you would be difficult.
Old 05-14-2003, 06:10 AM   #195
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Useful smilies?
Attached Images
File Type: gif laffin.gif (145 Bytes, 116 views)
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 06:10 AM   #196
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

This one
Attached Images
File Type: gif zen.gif (2.4 KB, 116 views)
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Old 05-14-2003, 06:11 AM   #197
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

And this one could have it's uses
Attached Images
File Type: gif bsod.gif (8.9 KB, 114 views)

Old 05-14-2003, 07:40 AM   #198
Liath
Still here in spirit

lol....I like the the last one. I'm keeping it.
Liath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 08:21 PM   #199
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Well I found a "jaw dropping smilie" anyone got any comments about this one?
Attached Images
File Type: gif eek2.gif (3.0 KB, 78 views)
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 12:59 AM   #200
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive