Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 02-07-2003, 11:17 AM   #21
cjmaddy
Registered

Yes! First thing I noticed after the initial surprise of the changed opening, was the clock was correct! - Great!
Thanks for all the work you do, Michael and Morgan, it's much appreciated!

Daylight saving? - I'm with SunKing, - why DO we still do it? - I hate changing clocks twice a year, for no good reason!
I thought it was only us in the UK who were stupid enough to fall for this, - never knew other countries did it!
They did stop it here once, can't remember when, must have been about 1970ish. But within a couple of years or so, it was back, - MADNESS!!! - (We used to do it 4 times/year!! - 'Double British Summertime'- can you believe it!!)

If anyone out there has a sensible logical reason why it's still necessary, lets have it, - I could be wrong!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 12:36 PM   #22
James
Principal Engineer as SDET

Location: Was in Auckland, New Zealand, Now in Taipei, Taiwan
LOL, I don't like Daylight saving time too, it makes most of net friends confusses about my time, they've complain about sometimes they have to plus one more hour and sometimes not, when counting my local time here.

I looked at your time zone and it's correctly set to +12.
Yes morgan, the original time is GMT plus 12, but when daylight saving's on, it should be GMT plus 13!! but the forum just still plus 12 for me only!!
However, NZ's Daylight saving will go off on 16th Feb, just few days later, Oz will follow. And now I just stick with the time wrap exist between forum and my local time
James C Chen
Principal Engineer as SDET, Connected Services
HTC Corporation
88 Section 3. Zhongxing Road
Xindian District, New Taipei City 231, Taiwan
www.htc.com
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 12:00 AM   #23
feldon34
Forum Administrator

200 lines of code later, you can see all the fun you're missing in the chatroom from the forum front page.

I'm going to release the code I wrote on vBulletin.org. It's nice and modular and should work on any mIRC 6 and any copy of vBulletin.

James, we looked at code to make Daylight Savings Time work. It's pretty complicated but we'll consider it.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman

Last edited by feldon34; 02-08-2003 at 12:05 AM.
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 08:17 AM   #24
teac
Registered

LOL. i'm confused.

James wrote;

"However, NZ's Daylight saving will go off on 16th Feb"

Well, in Norway (GMT +1) Daylight saving will go ON, sunday 30 March. Then Norway is GMT +2

Now i'm totally confused. Is it even possible to handle all this?
teac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 08:51 AM   #25
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Well the on/off issue is probably connected to the fact that you and James are on the opposite sides of the globe. He's got summer over there you know (mmm, wish I had summer too ).

/Tiny Winter
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 09:27 AM   #26
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

teac,

There are ways to handle it, and I am still researching the process. But like Morgan says it is fairly complicated. Doing some more research and figuring out just how stable this option is, or isn't, before trying it.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 11:56 AM   #27
handimannbob
what's up doc ?

i don't like ds time either. probably has something to do with money [lol]. in fact i don't change my wristwatch, i just remember it's an hour off part of the year. messes up some friends when they look at it but i get lol.....my personal way of fighting it ...
bob
handimannbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 05:16 PM   #28
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Ok, a quick update. Morgan and I spent 8 hours Saturday testing and fussing around trying to get the new "Chat Activity" placed, working, and bug free at the bottom of the main page. At this point we can report that it is working and everything should be fine !! Thanks to Fishybusiness for some "critiquing" about colors during the process.

We are also considering some visit stats somewhere on the main page. We have several different combinations in mind, but all comments and opinions are welcome.
Old 02-08-2003, 06:15 PM   #29
handimannbob
what's up doc ?

no real computer education here, but i hate cookies. go to washington post, no cookies. go to ny times cookies,cookies cookies, go to my alternate isp in case of trouble with msn an i get 17 cookies if i don't block.
i think there ought to be a law against putting anything on another persons computer wiyhout them seeing exactly what is being said or happening.
of course i don't know why we need them period. there should be another way. they sure are a way to sneak things in.
i wish we would go back to the "remember my password" check box........oh well, that's just me airing things out.....bye for now
bob
handimannbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 02:34 AM   #30
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Cookies are inherently benign. It is how websites use them. Cookies allow you to go to an international company's website and select your language and it will never have to ask you again. Cookies allow you to visit this forum a month from now and pick up right where you left off.

I'll concur that If one cookie could not read the contents of another cookie and if ActiveX did not exist, then it would be a more perfect world.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell

Last edited by feldon34; 02-09-2003 at 02:38 AM.
Old 02-09-2003, 07:03 AM   #31
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Isnt there a calendar option with vBulliten, where we could put members birthdays, important events, new SereneScreen release dates ( ), etc...?
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 07:30 AM   #32
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Also, on a members profile page, couldnt we have a male/female indicator?
Patrick
Old 02-09-2003, 11:33 AM   #33
Liath
Still here in spirit

Originally posted by patscarr
???
Liath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 12:03 PM   #34
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Isnt there a calendar option with vBulletin, where we could put members birthdays, important events, new SereneScreen release dates
SereneScreen does not do release dates.

We could also do flags for each country-of-origin, we could do karma ratings based on who gives the best advice, etc. etc. vBulletin comes a certain way out-of-the-box with many settings. Then you can literally rewrite any part of the forum yourself since it is all open (but not open source) PHP code. People have written any and every kind of modification for vBulletin. I really saw no need for a calendar since months go by without any major activity. If there is a need for a calendar, I'll turn that feature back on.

As for indicating male/female, I think some women appreciate a certain anonymity online. If they don't want to be treated differently online, then they simply won't volunteer that information. I don't see anything wrong with that.
Old 02-09-2003, 10:17 PM   #35
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

Morgan
Just a thought........ getting back to cookies. With the changes you are making can you fix it(the cookies) to "NOT" show the FAQ when first logging on? Your FAQ is very valuable to new members and I would not want to see it disappear but after a while...........
Just a thought
Ralph

Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889 – 1951)
The limits of my language are the limits of my mind. All I know is what I have words for.

Last edited by Ralph; 02-09-2003 at 10:19 PM.
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 10:28 PM   #36
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Ralph,

For new users coming in from the web site the FAQ is important. But for registered people here all the time the easiest way is to just Bookmark the main forum page.
Old 02-09-2003, 11:05 PM   #37
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

I love the chatroom activity thing! Its great to see which members and how many are in there.

Origionally posted by Liath

???
Not all the woman on our forum show their smiles. Just you and LightFeather. I can understand Morgans point of view though. Perhaps the ladys would get hounded too much. But I dont recall LF ever complaining about that.

Yes, I know that SereneScreen does not give release dates. The calander would mostly be used for members birthdays, weddings, special events, Chat with Jim Sachs, holidays from around the world, etc... What does everyone else think about this?

The flags for each country-of-origin is a great idea.
Patrick
Old 02-12-2003, 07:02 AM   #38
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Ok everyone, it's opinion time again. The fish icons for read, unread, participant and so on. Yea, Nea, or somewhere inbetween?
Old 02-12-2003, 02:12 PM   #39
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Hmmm, all day long and not even one comment. Not even thbbbbbpttttt. * <---- Read Calvin & Hobbs here*
Old 02-12-2003, 03:18 PM   #40
Vish
Registered

feldon:

Is this forum designed completely by you? Or you have got a open source and customized it yourself?

Cheers
--Vish
Vish is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive