Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > Prolific/LifeGlobe Products > Goldfish Aquarium 2 for Windows
Notices

Old 05-03-2005, 05:08 AM   #1
drfish
the Doc

MCE Goldfish a step backward?

I just built my first WinXP MCE 2k5 system last night and of course had to check out the special edition GA that it comes with... It actually looks pretty darn cool. But I had a concern...

I understand it is feature limited for a reason but one feature is missing that I found shocking... Why is there no framerate limiter? The GA appears to run the CPU (Athlon 64 3000+) at nearly 100% all the time which not only interferes with folding but makes typically tiny HTPC boxes very, very hot for no good reason.

Is there a registry edit I can use that will let me limit the framerate? I didn't dig too deep into it last night, but I thought I'd ask here anyway...

If I can't find a solution I'll just remove it, my payment for building the computer is that it folds 24/7 (thus heat is not a concern for me) but it won't do much number crunching if the user finds the GA and uses it as the screen saver...

Of course the last option is for someone to show me where the setting is that I overlooked and then poke fun of me for missing it...
I don't watch commercials.
drfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 05:39 AM   #2
cjmaddy
Registered

You're getting paranoid, Doc! .....
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 06:36 AM   #3
drfish
the Doc

Me?
Old 05-03-2005, 08:15 AM   #4
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Not having a framerate limiter is a serious concern on HTPCs, not to be made light of.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 08:29 AM   #5
drfish
the Doc

Yeah, yeah, but I'm talking about folding here, folding...

Oh course you're right, and I'd be more concerned in that context if it wasn't for folding... But if it wasn't for folding I wouldn't have noticed...

Anyway, there's got to be a simple reg tweak to set a limit in there... I'll look into it when I get home, we'll see if I can find anything in the full GAs reg entries...
Old 05-04-2005, 05:00 AM   #6
drfish
the Doc

I just didn't get around to looking into this last night... Anyone from Prolific have some thoughts on it?
Old 05-04-2005, 02:35 PM   #7
Edgar
Prolific/SereneScreen Developer

1 Highscore

There is no way to limit it. The number is hard coded. To make the UI as simple as it can get, the framerate limiter code was not added in.
Edgar Tolentino
Prolific Developer

www.prolific.com
www.LifeGlobe.com
Edgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 07:21 PM   #8
drfish
the Doc

Ouch. So a simplified UI was weighted to be worth the cost of all the extra heat generated in such a potentially small space? Ok...
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > Prolific/LifeGlobe Products > Goldfish Aquarium 2 for Windows