Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 09-09-2001, 12:24 AM   #1
Nut110
Registered

I have a problem....

I know that many people here are very familiar to nVidia products. I'm testing my new system and now have some proboems...

First, my system is...
TB 1G@1G, Abit KG7-lite, 256MB DDR, etc...
LG Studioworks 500 LC TFT 75 Hz max.
Win2k, Servicepack 2, DX8

Previously, I used Radeon LE o/c @ 183/183 MHz core/mem and enable HyperZ... no problem at all...
I tested this config by 2 approach...

1. I set Sachs 3D Aquarium to be the default screensaver at the log-in prompt instead of logon.scr. So when I log-off my PC and go back home my PC would run SS all night. With this Radeon LE = no problem.

2. I set Sachs's SS to be my screensaver. When I left a lot of work (Outlook Express, Excel, Word, etc...) or even no any other work and SS had been launched, it ran smoothly. Again Radeon LE = no problem.

Now I've bought GeForce2Pro 32MB DDR (OEM I don't know its brandname but it is made in Taiwan) and replaced my Radeon LE. I'm testing this card with 2 approaches above. I found that my PC always crash for #2 condition after long run, etc... 1 hr. #1 runs perfectly all night. I tried and tried many drivers (now stop at 12.90), even changed the GPU's heatsink and added heatsinks on each DDR chip + two big fans above the VGA card, with the same result.

Anyway, as I've tested I believe that it's the heat issue of GF2Pro card, especially of the DDR chips (simply check by touching at the heatsink of DDRs, very hot!!!!!). My assumption is that... Radeon LE is unable to be set to "disable V-sync" and so Sachs's SS ran only at 75 fps. For GF2Pro I "disable V-sync" and it runs at 200 fps with a lot of heat generated by each DDR chip. I now "enable V-sync" and, strange... Sachs's SS run at 60 fps (my TFT has the max. refresh rate at 75 Hz, coresponds to the fps at which Radeon LE runs...)

My questions are...
1. Does anyone have any experience like this and how could u cope with these issues. I would like to run Sachs's SS at the maximum frame rate, or ... at the maximum vertical refresh rate 75 Hz... if the max. fps is not possible for this card...

2. How could I "enable V-sync" GF2Pro and set it runs at 75 Hz (75 fps) as Radeon LE can do ??? At this moment when I press the menu button of the TFT monitor to let it shows the current monitor info. it shows that my TFT's running at 75 Hz !!! Why does Sachs's SS ON GF2Pro RUNS AT 60 FPS ? why why why ???

Thanks in advance....

PS: after a lot of tries... I found that Sachs 3D Aquarium is very good for the system test, especially for 3D VGA card run for the long long time. With "disable V-sync" and, no other work run, Sachs's SS could make a lot of load to VGA.

isn't it ???
^_^
Nut110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2001, 10:26 AM   #2
FrogMastr
Agalychnis callidryas

Re: I have a problem....

Really looks like a heat Issue,

You can try the Video SlotFan sold @ www.startech.com

Or ging to your More Direct3d functions to set the Wait for vertical retrace.

I often use the Fish.scr as a Video test of new card , or when customer complain of video problems. This prog really put the video to its max performance and thus revealing any faulty video card most of the time.

And usially, when the client come to get it's computer They ask me for to leave the program there, soi give them the demo and the infos for registration
----
FrogMastr
FrogMastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2001, 11:11 AM   #3
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I've always thought that running a video card at 100% for hours and hours when nobody is watching is silly and surely puts a lot of wear and tear on your video card.

I always use the Aquarium as a program or in a window.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2001, 05:54 PM   #4

One solution to the problem Morgan describes is to take advantage of power management (Power Options) on those systems in which they are supported. For instance, I let the aquarium run as a SS (I may be at my desk doing something else, and the SS provides a relaxing atmosphere), but after an hour the Power Options are set to place the system in Standby. Note that just setting the monitor to turn off does not disable the SS.
Old 09-10-2001, 09:35 PM   #5
Nut110
Registered

What were listed above are my tested configurations... I don't mind if anybody would see it when I log-off or not... that's not the point...

They are the tests of long-run Sach 3D Aquarium on, for my cases, 2 video cards.

Anyway...

I found something more... once...
Loging-in, leave Outlook Express, activate Sach 3D Aquarium at the screensave tab in Display Properties. It runs on Full screen mode, at first. Then I press "F" key, and run Winamp. I set Winamp for "Shuffle" and "Loop" play for randomly selected songs for long run. Sunddenly I go back to running Sachs's SS and press "F" key again to Full Screen. Crash !!! I then think of many tests I did I usually open Winamp with loop-randomly playing song option. It "may be" the accidentially happen of conflict of "random number generator" that is used by both SS and Winamp (this mode).

However, I couldn't duplicate this error again...

The problem seems to be more complicate...
So sad...

Any idea ???
Old 09-10-2001, 09:51 PM   #6

I have a problem...

Could be that you didn't uninstall all the drivers for your old Radeon card. I bet if you reinstalled Windows with only the Geforce drivers everything would work just fine.

Specs:
PIII 1 gig
Hercules Geforce 2 Pro
ASUS CUSL2-C Motherboard
256 meg Mushkin Rev 2 memory
45 Gig IBM ATA100 Hard Drive
Philips Acoustic Edge 5.1 Sound Card
Klipsch ProMedia 4.1 Speakers

Sounds like you have the heat under control so I don't think thats your problem. Are you overclocking? If so try to step it down a bit.
Old 09-11-2001, 10:05 PM   #7
Nut110
Registered

Re: I have a problem...

I did... I really did....
I uninstalled the old driver 'till windows showed "VGA Compatible" device.

I also searched for "ati*.*", notice the same last-modified date files ,delete them and also emptied the recycle bin...

However, reinstall Windows is interesting...
Anyway, after I disable V-sync, things seems to be better....

I'm trying... trying...

Thanks....
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive