Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 04-07-2008, 05:00 PM   #1
raygan
Registered

Exclamation portable screen saver

not sure if this is possible...can you guys make a USB/Flash drive/U3 Aquarium...so I got a better screensaver at work.

Super thanks
raygan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:39 PM   #2
Jim Sachs
Developer

Why not just copy it to a flash drive and take it to work? Or just download it at work, if there's an Internet connection?
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 06:06 PM   #3
feldon34
Forum Administrator

You can rename the Aquarium to have an EXE extension and then just run it. I thought most work computers are locked down so you can't install your own software?
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 06:06 PM   #4
raygan
Registered

Embarassed

you mean, whatever I installed, I could copy that folder to the flash drive?
Hmm, I thought it was one software/one pc install only.
Sweet...thanks
love the smileys in this forum
Old 04-07-2008, 07:07 PM   #5
raygan
Registered

Originally posted by feldon32:
You can rename the Aquarium to have an EXE extension and then just run it. I thought most work computers are locked down so you can't install your own software?  
my thoughts exactly
Old 04-08-2008, 04:58 AM   #6
Wizwad
Only me...

I can download the file to my work PC, but when I try to run it I'm told that a required file in DirectX is not available, so I'm still stuffed!
Mark
-----------
Intel i7 12700K | Aorus Z690 Pro | Corsair DDR5 5600 32GB | Asus Dual RTX3060ti 6GB v2 Mini OC | Corsair RM850 Gold PSU | 1TB NVMe M.2 WD Black SN850 | 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD | Corsair Airflow 5000D Case | HP 32QHD 4K Monitor | Windows 11 x64 Professional
Wizwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:44 AM   #7
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

What OS have you got at work, NT4?
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:10 AM   #8
Wizwad
Only me...

XP.

It's not a problem with the OS - it's a problem with the way the underlying configuration of OS and apps has been implemented by the *cough* "experts" in the organisation.

Edit: I thought you were responding to me, Tiny, but suddenly it occurs to me that you were talking to Raygan? Ah. sorry...
Mark
-----------
Intel i7 12700K | Aorus Z690 Pro | Corsair DDR5 5600 32GB | Asus Dual RTX3060ti 6GB v2 Mini OC | Corsair RM850 Gold PSU | 1TB NVMe M.2 WD Black SN850 | 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD | Corsair Airflow 5000D Case | HP 32QHD 4K Monitor | Windows 11 x64 Professional

Last edited by Wizwad; 04-08-2008 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:48 AM   #9
raygan
Registered

same here to XP PRO...maybe a portable Aquarium with 1-2 fish, i.e. those solitary fighting fish...or 2 lionhead goldfish...just a suggestion.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:08 PM   #10
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Wiz,
Nope. I was talking to you.
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:21 PM   #11
Jim Sachs
Developer

Still not sure what this is all about. If the machine doesn't support DirectX, then the Aquarium won't run on it - it doesn't matter if there are less fish. And I still don't know what could possibly make it more "portable" than it is now. The program is all in one file, with no add-ons, dlls, or any other miscellaneous pieces floating around. Same goes for MA3 - I zap it to a memory stick and plug it into my 3 test machines at least 30 times a day.
Jim Sachs
Old 04-09-2008, 11:34 AM   #12
raygan
Registered

maybe it has to do with settings?
if the screensaver was disabled by IT then it's not going to work at all.
maybe the directory tree needs to be established from the flash drive.
I'll try again today.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:39 AM   #13
Jim Sachs
Developer

Directory tree? It's just a file. You drag it onto the desktop, (or any other directory), double-click it, and it runs.
Jim Sachs
Old 04-09-2008, 12:43 PM   #14
drfish
the Doc

Your admin[s] probably disabled DirectX with a group policy...?
I don't watch commercials.
drfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:01 PM   #15
Wizwad
Only me...

Doc, yes, I think you're right.

Fortunately, I got a laptop today with which to work off site and it *does* run DirectX. One guess as to how I tested that!

On the down side, they've done what Raygan mentioned above - they've disabled access to the screensaver tab in the Display Properties and locked in the company saver. My next step is to test whether running MA as a program over-rides that!
Mark
-----------
Old 04-09-2008, 04:52 PM   #16
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

The company I work for has done that as well.. In my case I can run the SS when changing the extension to an "exe". But there is no way to have it run automatically as a screen saver as there is no access to the tab required to set it. This is a setting in the registry and I have come across a script that would change that... however.... I have vowed not to mess with the computers at work in exchange for being able to use them on occasion..... so I must exercise due caution
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:56 PM   #17
Jim Sachs
Developer

Well, you could get them to make the Aquarium the official company screensaver, Like Ford, Intel, and a bunch of other companies have
Jim Sachs
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive