Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X > Marine Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X Archive
Notices

Old 07-08-2002, 02:18 PM   #1
rickey939

3D Coral Background?

So what is the latest on the 3D coral background? When can Mac users expect to see final version 1.1?

Great work, I absolutely love this screen saver and almost don't even want to use my Tibook just so the screen saver comes on

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2002, 02:34 PM   #2
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Hey, 3D background goes to us heathens first.

Jim is working on the Freshwater Aquarium right now, then the 3D background, then I would presume that it will be ported over.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 02:39 PM   #3
gorickey
Registered

Okay, that sounds fair....I still think those heathens that have paid should get the "very special" version sent off to Apple for MWNY! What does it include?

Just my opinion...
Think Fish.
gorickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 08:34 AM   #4
Jim Sachs
Developer

Yes, the Freshwater program is first, then the 3D background for the PC saltwater tank. A separate company does the Mac conversion, so the Mac port of the 3D background could be fairly rapid after I turn it over to them.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 08:08 AM   #5
mrtew
Registered

Originally posted by Jim Sachs
Yes, the Freshwater program is first, then the 3D background for the PC saltwater tank. A separate company does the Mac conversion, so the Mac port of the 3D background could be fairly rapid after I turn it over to them.

I don't want to try to pin you down or anything, but how long to you estimate this will take? I check all the sites every day looking for something new... and I'm thinking maybe all this will be over a year away and I should just relax. What is the rough time frame I am looking at? :-]
mrtew
mrtew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 11:51 AM   #6
feldon34
Forum Administrator

mrtew,

As someone who has done some development myself, I can mirror Jim's comments that you can estimate 8 hours to get something written, plugged in, and working in your program. Then you start working on it and maybe you have a breakthrough and you get it going in 1 hour. Sometimes the d*mn thing takes 24 hours or more. Programming, like any other art form, is very unpredictable.

Just punch in your e-mail to my website at https://www.feldoncentral.com/Sachs/ at the bottom where it says "SereneScreen Newsletter".

You'll get an e-mail when there are major updates such as a web chat, release of the freshwater or any news on the saltwater.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell

Last edited by feldon34; 07-13-2002 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-13-2002, 08:23 PM   #7
mrtew
Registered

Originally posted by feldon23
As someone who has done some development myself, I can mirror Jim's comments that you can estimate 8 hours to get something written, plugged in, and working in your program. Then you start working on it and maybe you have a breakthrough and you get it going in 1 hour. Sometimes the d*mn thing takes 24 hours or more. Programming, like any other art form, is very unpredictable.

Cool! That gives me hope! Of course if I take those numbers at face value I'd expect a new fish every day or two which would be a complete fresh aquarium in a month or so, which is obviously probably unrealistic, but at least it might not be a year!!!

I just wish that the Mandarin Gobi would be the first priority! I LOVE that fish and am dying to get him into my tank! Jim, HURRY!
mrtew
Old 07-13-2002, 11:29 PM   #8
feldon34
Forum Administrator

That gives you hope?

Well, I can comment about the Mandarin Gobi. It's a similar shape to the Lionfish (if you nix the spines) but moves completely differently. So maybe he can use some of the work he did on the Lionfish.
Old 07-22-2002, 03:34 PM   #9
dhigbee
The Snorkeler

Question

Great program, reminds me of my reef tank I had years ago, but I NEED MY 3D BACKGROUND!!! The Percula Clown also needs an anemone.

Added: I'd also like to see some of the fish picking at the corals or macroalgae. This would make it too realistic for words!

Last edited by dhigbee; 07-22-2002 at 03:41 PM.
dhigbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 04:25 PM   #10
mrtew
Registered

Originally posted by dhigbee
Great program, reminds me of my reef tank I had years ago, but I NEED MY 3D BACKGROUND!!! The Percula Clown also needs an anemone. I'd also like to see some of the fish picking at the corals or macroalgae. This would make it too realistic for words!

I agree with all this. I'd like a little interaction between the fish. I understand that most people don't want to see fighting etc, but several people have admired my saver and have said that it's so realistic that you wouldn't need a real fishtank. It does look great at first glance, but what it's missing is the personalities of the fish.
A real aquarium has a 'pecking order' where each fish fits in above some and below some. I think this could be programmed into them easily so they are attracted to ones below them and repelled by ones above them insead of aimlessly drifting around as if the others don't exist. Would this be as easy as I make it sound Jim?
mrtew
Old 07-22-2002, 10:54 PM   #11
dhigbee
The Snorkeler

Exclamation

Wonderful idea, mrtew!

Wouldn't it be great to see the tang being spooked by one of the more aggressive fish, and extend his dorsal and ventral fins? I'd also love to see the blue damsel defending his territory.
dhigbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 12:03 AM   #12
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Some of these issues are mentioned in the FAQ, with more full-bodied explanations in the main forum.

/Tiny FAQ
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 12:13 AM   #13
Jim Sachs
Developer

All that has been planned since the beginning, but other tasks keep getting in the way.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X > Marine Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X Archive