Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X > Marine Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X Archive
Notices

Old 10-12-2005, 10:53 AM   #1
jms1asguest

2.0.6 not saving preferences

Is there some trick to making 2.0.6 actually SAVE the preferences under OSX 10.4? Every time the screen saver pops up I have to press B to turn off the bubble sound- and when I try to set this, or any other option, under System Preferences, my choices take effect in the preview area within the System Preferences program but do not affect the actual screen saver itself.

I have checked permissions, my userid does have full read/write permissions to the /Library/Preferences directory.

One thing I find strange is that my registration information is being stored in a file called /Library/Preferences/.plist (i.e. no file "name", just ".plist".) I'm not sure if this is connected or not.

I have tried totally removing and re-installing the screen saver, both in "/Library/Screen Savers" and in "~/Library/Screen Savers"... same problem no matter where it's installed.

I also tried the email form on SereneScreen's web site, and in over a month I haven't heard anything.

Totally unrelated: somebody needs to look at the permissions for this forum. Guests are allowed to create new threads but registered users aren't? That makes no sense to me at all...
Old 11-06-2005, 03:01 PM   #2
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

I haven't seen any reports of not being able to save prefs with standard disk formats with the current build of MA on 10.4. It is working fine for me. You could contact me through the Order N Development web site and we could try to trouble shoot this.
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
JimO'Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 04:04 AM   #3
jms1
Registered

Originally posted by JimO'Connor:
I haven't seen any reports of not being able to save prefs with standard disk formats with the current build of MA on 10.4. It is working fine for me. You could contact me through the Order N Development web site and we could try to trouble shoot this.  
Is "HPFS plus, journaled, case-sensitive" considered a "standard" disk format?

I ran into a namespace collision between the standard "head" utility and the HEAD program installed with the perl LWP package... when 10.4 added the case-sensitive filesystems it cleared up a big problem for me.
jms1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 10:09 AM   #4
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

Hi jms1,

Ah, that is the problem. I'll look into what is causing it as I haven't seen any case mis-matches, but the fact that it isn't working suggests that there is one somewhere.

Jim
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
Old 11-12-2005, 03:54 PM   #5
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

Open up the bundle of the application and screen saver and duplicate the Info.plist and name the copy "info.plist" with a lower case 'i'. Both files must be there, one with upper case 'I' and one with lower case 'i'.
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
Old 11-12-2005, 08:03 PM   #6
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

I have an AppleScript which will automatically do the fix for any of the Prolific products which are having troubles with a case sensitive hard drive format. Leave me a message here, or feedback at the Order N Dev site and I'll mail you the script.
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X > Marine Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X Archive