Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 12-08-2002, 11:15 PM   #21
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

all the work I did on the Mac, was totally wasted when the game machine I was developing for went under.
I'm curious, which game system was it Jim? I'd hazard a guess, but I'm not sure of the time frame you're talking about.
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Today is the tomorrow you were worried about yesterday...
Digital Lungfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 11:40 PM   #22
feldon34
Forum Administrator

The Pippin?
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 01:08 AM   #23
Jim Sachs
Developer

I originally wrote the CompuTrainer 3D software for the Panasonic M2.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 02:30 AM   #24
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Morgan,
That Terramorph Productions of yours – Is it some Weyland-Yutani reference or something?

/TT – Building Better Worlds
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 05:58 AM   #25
cjmaddy
Registered

Thanks for the new pic Morgan. Just found your Corporate-SSA.jpg, that's even better!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 11:16 AM   #26
CephaloP
lurking in the shadows...

I was going crazy trying to remember where I knew "Weyland-Yutani" from. But I just remembered!

"Aww, c'mon Cain, the food's not THAT bad!"
SPLAT
CephaloP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 12:00 PM   #27
Bob
Registered

Originally posted by cjmaddy
I'm very sorry folks, but if that screen shot is accurate, I think it looks hideous, - and who needs another clock?

It's really no better than a sunken galleon, or a diver, or a treasure chest! - Whatever happened to reality?
I don't understand why this is allowed, even encourged, and the use of the aquarium as live wallpaper is rejected as being equal to defacing great art.

I will probably get shot down in flames for these comments, but honestly, I am just giving my views. - Sorry! - As most of you will know, I really love SSA, I hate to see this done to it!
Jim would probably like to, but won't, shoot me, too, for my comment here. Like you I love the SSA. The one difference between you and me is that I don't mind the clock being added as long as I don't have to pay for this version.

Bob Frank
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 12:36 PM   #28
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Everyone has their own opinion, and thats ok. But, some seem to be missing the point. This version isn't specifically being offered for sale here. This IS NOT the future of the versions that we are waiting on, ( other than the UI or settings screen, which will be adapted when the code is changed over. ) This was just shown here as an informational fact concerning what IS being offered to companies and corporations to enable them to have their Company Logo or name placed somewhere in the aquarium, or have a clock or calendar if they so choose.

Last edited by Jav400; 12-09-2002 at 01:25 PM.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 01:19 PM   #29
CephaloP

One thing no one's brought up yet: this constitutes a "second product" from Prolific, right? So those stores that were hesitant to carry only one product will carry the aquarium?

I ask because the reason for Jim switching from the 3D background to working on the Freshwater tank was to get that second product out there so more outlets would sell the SSA. With the release of the clock thing, maybe he could get back to the 3D background, which I believe is what everyone is most eager to see. Especially as progress on the Freshwater tank has apparently been nil.

I'm assuming the "Aquarium TIME" has to count as a second product, I can't imagine why it would have been made otherwise.
Old 12-09-2002, 01:23 PM   #30
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Nope, it doesn't. Add-ons and so forth do not consitute a second product. To qualify it has to be a completely different product, not an extension of one already in production.
Old 12-09-2002, 02:12 PM   #31
Jim Sachs
Developer

After noting the success of the Aquarium at Fry's, couple of distributers have agreed to carry it without a second product. That's how we got into CompUSA, where it's doing extremely well.
Jim Sachs
Old 12-09-2002, 05:22 PM   #32
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I'm assuming the "Aquarium TIME" has to count as a second product, I can't imagine why it would have been made otherwise.
It's your choice to imagine what you want. Aquarium Time:
-will not immediately be sold in stores (and may never be?)
-caters to businesses
-does not satisfy the 'two products rule'

I ask because the reason for Jim switching from the 3D background to working on the Freshwater tank was to get that second product out there so more outlets would sell the SSA. With the release of the clock thing, maybe he could get back to the 3D background, which I believe is what everyone is most eager to see.
Jim works on what he works on. He's appreciative that people buy his products, but he has already chosen to do the Freshwater and it will be completed.

Especially as progress on the Freshwater tank has apparently been nil.
Whether the project on Jim's plate were the Freshwater aquarium or the 3D background, you would not have it right now because Jim has had other things going on which have taken up much of his time.

The Aquarium will be in 4 retailers shortly. Office Depot and Circuit City add to the existing Fry's and CompUSA distribution.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 12-09-2002, 07:21 PM   #33
CephaloP

For some reason my posts seem to sound pretty mean-spirited or insensitive when they're quoted (by Morgan )

But I hope I don't come across that way
Old 12-09-2002, 07:43 PM   #34
Jim Sachs
Developer

No, your comment's didn't come across as mean-spirited.

And one more time, for the record -- I didn't work on the Time version. I saw it once in Reichart's office.
Jim Sachs
Old 12-09-2002, 10:00 PM   #35
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Once I get approval from Reichart, I can post more information here. There will be some good nuggets (I hope) from the chat logs once I get them posted.

Basically, everyone out there is trying to catch up with the SereneScreen Marine Aquarium that Jim brought out 2 years ago. Prolific have been working very hard this year to give Jim development tools that allow him to bring out the new Freshwater (and then go back and revisit the Saltwater) with graphics that will be even tougher for the competition to mimic.

I've seen some of this new technology in motion and I am pretty darn excited.
Old 12-09-2002, 10:45 PM   #36
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Oh, by the way, the new UI (settings panel) looks great! When will that be added to the saltwater version?
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 01:30 AM   #37
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

Ha, the M2, that was actually my first guess. Then again, I guessed as far back as the Amiga CD32. I had no idea that the CompuTrainer was developed for the M2, well you learn something new every day.
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com

Last edited by Digital Lungfish; 12-10-2002 at 01:36 AM.
Old 12-10-2002, 01:46 AM   #38
Jim Sachs
Developer

When I started the CompuTrainer project, the CD32 had just gone under, leaving me out in the cold with Defender of the Crown2. Panasonic was pouring $100 million into the M2, so it seemed a safe bet. Ha. I'm still stuck with the PowerMac and $22,000 development card for it.

By the way, CNN had a good segment on the CompuTrainer a couple of weeks ago.
Jim Sachs
Old 12-10-2002, 06:54 AM   #39
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

pat,

Probably somewhere around the time we get the 3D background, and several other improvements are headed our way along with that, some things people have been looking for and some things that will be a nice supprise for everyone.

Last edited by Jav400; 12-10-2002 at 07:29 AM.
Old 12-11-2002, 01:11 AM   #40
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

By the way, CNN had a good segment on the CompuTrainer a couple of weeks ago.
Dang, wish I'd caught it when it was on. Were you mentioned anywhere in the segment?
Steve
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive