Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 04-04-2005, 03:59 AM   #21
cjmaddy
Registered

Pat,
As I said before, 'Direct3D Acceleration', and the other two shown on the image that Clint posted, should all be 'Enabled'. If they are shaded out (unclickable), then I would suggest uninstalling the video drivers. - Have a fresh start, even if it means going back to safe mode. - Re-boot then reinstall the latest video drivers for your card, then see if you can reinstall DirectX.

Have you checked through the advice given here? ......

https://www.feldoncentral.com/Sachs/help.html

You should get this gyratory image when you click on the Test button in dxdiag ......
(Make sure you don't click on one of the 'Disable' buttons by mistake whilst doing the tests.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Direct3D_2.jpg (46.4 KB, 9 views)
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 07:53 AM   #22
klyntun

Yes, what Cliff said. Also, since you have XP, why not try restoring your system to a point before this started happening and see if that works.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:41 AM   #23
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

I'll try Cliff's suggestion on Wednesday, but I can't restore my system to a point before this started happening because I disabled that service and when you disable that service, I've heard that you lose all the saved restore points.
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 12:29 PM   #24
klyntun

Yes, if you disable System Restore, you lose all your restore points. I'd recommend not disabling it, but just going into Disc Cleanup periodically and deleting all but the current restore point.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:10 PM   #25
feldon34
Forum Administrator

patscarr, Go into System Properties -> Device Manager and look for yellow exclamation points especially next to Display Adapters. If you have one, then you have much bigger problems than DirectX.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 01:19 AM   #26
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

No yellow exclamation points.

Today, one of the university's computer techs was working on another PC in my office for a different problem and I asked him to look at mine. I showed him how the Direct3D test didn't work, then showed him what happens when I try to re-install Direct X and he was stumped. He looked around a little more and said everything looked good and that it should be working fine. Well, I had to go to class, but when I came back an hour and a half later, my screen was running MA2! I don't know what he did, but I asked the secretary to get him back here and show me or else just have him do the same thing to the other PCs here. I'm afraid to play any games or change any settings in fear that I might lose my MA2!
Patrick
Old 04-06-2005, 07:59 PM   #27
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Sorry to say, Doc, but I think I've narrowed the problem down to Folding@Home.

Just this morning I noticed that my Folding@Home icon was missing from my task bar. The Comp. Tech. must have uninstalled it, so I reinstalled it and now MA2 doesn't work any more. If I quit the folding@Home program, MA2 works again.

Also, I checked the other PCs here and the one that runs MA2 isn't running Folding@Home, the girl must have uninstalled it herself. The others are all running Folding@Home and MA2 doesn't work.

What's going on?
Patrick
Old 04-06-2005, 08:01 PM   #28
klyntun

Maybe it's because you were Folding@Work. These programs are very specific.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:40 PM   #29
Edgar
Prolific/SereneScreen Developer

1 Highscore

You should set up the service mode instead of the screensaver mode of Folding@Home. It works best that way.

Edit: Assuming you are using screensaver mode.
Edgar Tolentino
Prolific Developer

www.prolific.com
www.LifeGlobe.com
Edgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 03:01 AM   #30
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Thanks Edgar. I uninstalled Folding@Home on all 5 PCs then re-installed the Folding@Home console version on all of them. Now MA2 works on all 5 machines and all 5 machines are folding away again. But now my problem is having MA2 running on my co-workers' machines. I origionally just installed it on their machines to test what was wrong with mine, but my co-workers have all fallen in love with it and will probably hang me if I take it away. I know the right thing to do. I may not be able to reply here anym........................
Patrick
Old 04-07-2005, 03:29 AM   #31
drfish
the Doc

Just tell them that if they want a copy they owe Jim $20...

Thanks BTW Edgar, that's just what I was going to say... They won't be uninstalling the console running as a service I bet...
I don't watch commercials.
drfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 07:48 AM   #32
klyntun

Give them the Demo, Pat. If they want the full version, they should buy it like we all did.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:51 AM   #33
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I guess it should have been mentioned that Folding@Home screen saver and any other program LIKE that basically takes over DirectX even when it's not in the foreground.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 04-07-2005, 09:09 AM   #34
Edgar

1 Highscore

I am folding at home still and it would be nice if SereneScreen makes it to the top 20 again.
Edgar Tolentino
Prolific Developer

www.prolific.com
www.LifeGlobe.com
Old 04-07-2005, 09:17 AM   #35
drfish
the Doc

Prolific must be good for more machines... Lots of computers in the office, no?
Old 04-07-2005, 09:31 AM   #36
Edgar

1 Highscore

I only want to be responsible with my computers so I am not recruiting Prolific.
Edgar Tolentino
Prolific Developer

www.prolific.com
www.LifeGlobe.com
Old 04-07-2005, 09:34 AM   #37
drfish
the Doc

Understood. I can dream though...
Old 04-07-2005, 03:06 PM   #38
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Originally posted by feldon29:
I guess it should have been mentioned that Folding@Home screen saver and any other program LIKE that basically takes over DirectX even when it's not in the foreground.  
How? Why?
Patrick
Old 04-07-2005, 04:04 PM   #39
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Because it is very complex to initialize and release DirectX. It's much easier to just initialize DirectX when your program starts, and too bad if other programs want to draw 3D or 2D animation.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:29 AM   #40
fred@
Registered

No body has anwsered my question. I still cannot get rid of the double listing. Please help me!

fred@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive