Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 09-12-2008, 04:10 PM   #2001
Jim Sachs
Developer

The reason it will take a while is that the program needs to be in a semi-finished state before we commit resources to language issues. For the first few weeks of Beta releases, there will be many changes and we don't want to keep going back to a dozen translators with each change.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 07:57 PM   #2002
Mith
Registered

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
The reason it will take a while is that the program needs to be in a semi-finished state before we commit resources to language issues. For the first few weeks of Beta releases, there will be many changes and we don't want to keep going back to a dozen translators with each change.  

I say, if you don't speak ENGLISH..........

heh
Mith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 05:29 AM   #2003
hololo
Registered

few weeks of Beta releases  
Oct 2008 for Beta, release before Dec 31 2008?
hololo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:37 AM   #2004
Jim Sachs
Developer

Who knows? If all the remaining bugs would become obvious, then I could release the Beta today. Or tomorrow. Or next week. Or next month. With software, the only thing that ever comes from setting a date is disappointment.
Jim Sachs
Old 09-14-2008, 12:15 PM   #2005
jleslie
Engineer

BTW I spotted this feature on the new Sony-Ericsson X1 phone:

A “mini aquarium” where you could feed the fish and pester them. Even better - the different fish reflected the state of the phone. One fish changed colors if you had voicemail, another if you had email, and yet another told you whether or not the phone was on silent or vibrate or LOUD or whatnot. This panel was super fun.
(From http://wmexperts.com/reviews/smartph...ons_of_th.html and the current front-runner to be my next phone, in October...)

I'm pretty confident this feature won't make it into SS though... BUT it would be cool to add/remove fish on events though, like a received e-mail or calendar reminder... very cool! V3.1 anybody? (I know... I know...)

John
jleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:39 PM   #2006
jleslie
Engineer

Wow - I single-handedly managed to stop this thread in its tracks... who'd have believed that was possible (okay, with a little help from Ike).
:-)
John
jleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:55 PM   #2007
johnblommers
The Architect

Sometimes I have the opposite effect
Reasons people don't watch Star Trek:
60% - It’s for nerds.
39% - The show’s stupid.
01% - My parents were killed by Klingons and it's still too painful.
johnblommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 04:41 PM   #2008
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:01 AM   #2009
hololo
Registered

any new information?
hololo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:53 AM   #2010
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Not so far, Jim and Edgar are tracking down the latest bugs and correcting them.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:09 PM   #2011
bigbass22
Registered

Hi Jim
I have been around since the long ago days of the.99's. Since then I've survived both a heart attack and retirement. We all have regrets and I was wondering when it comes to V. 2.6 what were yours? In hindsight was there anything you would have done differently with the release?
bigbass22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:40 PM   #2012
Jim Sachs
Developer

I needed to stay in touch with programming better. After turning the code over to Prolific, I lost control of it. It became a one-way process, where I would create some fish or make some other improvement, submit the changes to the Prolific programmers, and never actually see the code again. When I finally made the mental committment to finsih MA3, it was nearly impossible for me to get back into programming. I had to start all over again, writing it in DirectX8/9, but with my advancing age it was Greek to me. I've learned that if I go for more than a couple of days without looking at the code, it's very hard to get back into it, so I plan to go immediately into the Freshwater Tank after MA3 is finished.
Jim Sachs
Old 09-23-2008, 03:26 AM   #2013
Isabeau
Registered

Working late again I see Jim? In Holland it's 11.18 now so it must be 2 or 3.18 overthere depending on the timezone. I realy hope i can purchase the update to V3 soon or download the Beta. I'm a real fan of the program for a long time. By the way if you want a Dutch version I might be able to help you out if you like.

For later pleasant and inspiaring dreams here in Holland I'm half way the working day schedualing my classes at INHolland University

Bye Guus Eberstadt van der Velden
Intel Quadcore Q9550
Club 3D8800 GTS 640mb DDR3
Kingston 2GB DDR3
Asus Extreme Maximus FSB 1600
3.6 TB HD's
24" Iiyama Prolite B2403WS
24" Fujitsu Siemens L2W
32 bit Vista Ultimate full version
Xclio A380 twin engine
=========================
Intel Core i7-920 LGA 1366
Asus P6T Deluxe
6GB Corsair XMS3-1600 DDR3
1 Saphire ATI HD4870 X2 2GB
Creative X-Fi Titanium
Corsair PSU 750watt TX
Thermaltake VH6000BWS Armor+
24" Fujitsu Siemens L2W
32" Samsung Flatscreen TV as second screen
Windows Vista 64 Ultimate full version
Isabeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:17 AM   #2014
Jim Sachs
Developer

I usually work until 2 or 3 in the morning. The MA3 Beta is extremely close.
Jim Sachs
Old 09-23-2008, 10:29 AM   #2015
memilm
Registered

"Freshwater Tank" after MA3 would be very nice...
memilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:50 AM   #2016
loub516
Registered

The MA3 Beta is extremely close
It is, after all, almost October.
LB
loub516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:57 AM   #2017
JEBrady
Registered

I usually work until 2 or 3 in the morning. The MA3 Beta is extremely close.  
Woohoo! Here's hoping it's just some minor niggling left and no showstoppers.
JEBrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:04 AM   #2018
Jim Sachs
Developer

I'm still waiting for an nVidia 6600 AGP card which I bought on eBay over a week ago. There have been problems reported with this card in a multimonitor setup, and I need to do some more testing. Nearly all the remaining bugs have something to do with multimonitor support.

During testing so far, it has become obvious that card manufacturers have not done a very good job of standardizing the way multimonitors are handled on a driver level. Many problems have been fixed by rolling back to a previous driver, or using the same driver number, but downloaded from a different source ?!
Jim Sachs
Old 09-23-2008, 12:40 PM   #2019
JEBrady
Registered

I'm still waiting for an nVidia 6600 AGP card which I bought on eBay over a week ago. There have been problems reported with this card in a multimonitor setup, and I need to do some more testing. Nearly all the remaining bugs have something to do with multimonitor support.

During testing so far, it has become obvious that card manufacturers have not done a very good job of standardizing the way multimonitors are handled on a driver level. Many problems have been fixed by rolling back to a previous driver, or using the same driver number, but downloaded from a different source ?!  
I try not to think too much about graphics card drivers, it's just too frustrating. I've had an HD 3850 AGP for half a year, and every driver ATI has put out since I bought it is a hotfix.

Anyone trying to make a graphics app compatible with every vid card out there...what an aneurism.
JEBrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:11 PM   #2020
Jim Sachs
Developer

I can't describe the frustration in dealing with video hardware. I wonder if Steven Spielberg would continue making movies if every projecter was different, and he had to personally go to each theater to figure out why his movie wouldn't play.
Jim Sachs
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive