Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 09-09-2006, 02:33 PM   #61
jroseone
Registered

Originally posted by Simple Steve:
I think a lot of the people on this board don't have a clue how long it will take Mr. Sachs to complete 3.0, or the effort it takes to do something like this. There's a reason I never got into programming. It's tedious, time-consuming, and sometimes frustrating work. The little bit that I've done is enough to convince me that I made the right decision in my IT career choice. I certainly wont say that I've done coding on the level of Mr. Sachs, but I think I can say with certainty that wishing him to go faster aint gonna make it happen.  
Yes but has'nt Mr. Sachs been working on most of this stuff for quite some years now ? I remember when I first purchased Marine Aquarium, there was talks about these addons, and that was ages ago.
jroseone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 02:51 PM   #62
feldon34
Forum Administrator

It all boils down to the fact that Jim Sachs is an artist and animator. He is not a programmer. He's forced himself through DirectX and C++ books to learn enough to write the Aquarium. It's remarkable to me what he's been able to do, given my limited knowledge of just how complex DirectX is to program (and it's 1,000 easier than it used to be).

And I guess Jim has been screwed over so many times by publishers, programmers, and pretty much anyone he has dared collaborate with over the last 20 years that getting outside help (even of an instructional nature) is completely out of the question.

Jim is trying to do animation and create interactive surfaces that only the upper echelon of DirectX programmers are even attempting, without the background they have.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 09:05 PM   #63
Jim Sachs
Developer

Yep, looking over my C++ code, no one is more surprised than me that I can get this gibberish to do anything coherent at all.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 11:16 AM   #64
Ian
Registered

Originally posted by Tiny Turtle:
Ian,
Could you describe the background a wee bit more? What was different?

/TT  
Hi TT, sorry for the delay in replying.

The version I saw running in Edinburgh looked just like the current 2.x version, right down to the types of fish and the corals, etc. However, the corals appeared to be 3D models too, and they swayed about in the water.

I looked in the lower corners of all of the screens on display, but there was no telltale "SACHS" signature hidden in the stones as far as I could see.

It would appear that it must have been something other than our favourite, Marine Aquarium, but the resemblance was so uncanny!
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 12:20 PM   #65
cjmaddy
Registered

That single malt is strong stuff!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 09:19 AM   #66
Icarus ^i^
Registered

Embarassed

Fantastic Surfed in here to upgrade my ancient version to 2.6 and discover that v3 is in the works!

Keep up the good work Jim Absolutely looking forward to buying it for my new widescreen laptop.
Laptop: HP nx9420 | Intel Core Duo T2400 1.83 Ghz | 17" WSXGA+ Brightview | ATI x1600 w/256MB | 2GB DDR2 667MHz | 80GB SATA 5400RPM | DL-DVD +/- RW Drive
Everquest 2: Ewexia lvl70 Wiz @ Splitpaw
Icarus ^i^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 07:36 PM   #67
jroseone
Registered

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
Yep, looking over my C++ code, no one is more surprised than me that I can get this gibberish to do anything coherent at all.  
More power to you Jim, your next generation Fish tank sounds like it will be awsome.
jroseone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 05:50 AM   #68
Kizayaen
Registered

I first ran across this product by using the Goldfish Bowl which was included with Windows XP Media Center Edition. I'm an aquarist in real life too, so the combination of gorgeous photo-perfect fish, realistic behaviour, and the option to choose from a large variety of animals sucked me in. I'm very pleased to have paid my $20 for v2.6 tonight.

After playing with it, I'd come up with a handful of things that I wanted to suggest as feedback, but then it turns out that they're all forthcoming in v3 already! Absolutely outstanding work! I can't wait to shell out more money for my v3 upgrade and start playing with the special critters.

Jim, keep up the absolutely fantastic work.
Kizayaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 03:03 AM   #69
Highlander
Registered

Any news?

Any news on the work in progress Jim ?
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups !
Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 11:36 AM   #70
Jim Sachs
Developer

Nothing exciting. I'm working on it about 12 hours a day, but it's slow going - pure drudgery. Each tiny object has to be created then reworked countless times until it looks good from whatever angle the camera will see it from as it pans. Even though the viewing angle does not change radically, it's enough to show that the object isn't real. The elephant-ear coral that I'm working on right now is a good example of this. Since it has become something of an MA trademark, I feel compelled to include it, but I only have the one picture to go by. Using this as a texture, it must be projected onto the 3D object from the front, as the camera originally saw it. When the camera moves to the side even slightly, the texture becomes an incoherant mass of streaks.

So, I must create a new object closer to the viewer which will slide in front of the offending object, obscuring it as the camera position exposes an unacceptable angle. Then there's the problem of viewing THAT object from different angles, and so on... Oh, well - If I ever do get this finished, it should remain the gold standard of 3D simulations for a long time, because nobody else would be nuts enough to go through this again.
Jim Sachs
Old 09-17-2006, 12:07 PM   #71
Highlander
Registered

Thanks for the update... keep in mind we are all support you !
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups !
Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 01:20 PM   #72
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

Agreed. We know you can do it buddy.
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
ESHIREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 01:37 PM   #73
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Sounds like a lot of work. One picture, huh?

>1 picture.
>>1 picture.

/Tiny Stab in the Dark
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 03:52 PM   #74
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Remember Jim, this is only within the miracle stage, it should only take minutes.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:41 AM   #75
Jim Sachs
Developer

Tiny - nope, none of those are it. This is the pic I'm using (I took it in 2000):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg elephantear.jpg (73.6 KB, 270 views)
Jim Sachs
Old 09-18-2006, 09:21 AM   #76
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Ok.
Upon further googling, Im stating to think that's not an Elephant ear mushroom coral which is green in color, but the "Giant Cup mushroom" which sometimes is called "Giant Elephant ear coral" (Amplexidiscus fenestrafer).
More pics: 1 2 3 4 5.
I don't know if it's of any help to you, but I figure it was worh a shot.

/TT
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:33 AM   #77
Jim Sachs
Developer

Thanks, TT, but I need a shot of that exact (long-dead) coral from a little higher angle. The idea is that when MA3 pops up, the first impression is that you are looking at the current version, then the camera starts to pan and you realize that it's a 3D environment. Not everything in the current background picture can be used exactly as is, but that one piece of coral is probably the most recognizable item in the tank.
Jim Sachs

Last edited by Jim Sachs; 09-18-2006 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:50 AM   #78
nicksteel
Registered

BANGKOK, Thailand - Scientists combing through undersea fauna off Indonesia's Papua province said Monday they had discovered dozens of new species, including a shark that walks on its fins and a shrimp that looks like a praying mantis.

Todays' Yahoo. "a shrimp that looks like a praying mantis" could be an interesting addition. Can't find picture yet.
nicksteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 10:09 AM   #79
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Well that sounds interesting, find a decent photo and I will add it to the special creatures section of the web page.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 03:17 AM   #80
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Jim, I figured you were looking for something likt that, but I fear I can't help you with the hand-pixling of that one...

Nick,
In a nature show on the TV a creature that looks so unique it's almost unnatural is a very cool thing. In a program like this the aimhas to be for the creatures to look as realistic as possible or everything in the tank will appear fake. What I'm trying to say is that footage of a fish with four eyes and a head that glows in the dark would be super cool, but if you put it in MA3 it would look about as relistic as if the lionfish had Homer Simpson's face...

/Tiny Parade-rainer

Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive