Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 09-19-2006, 06:52 PM   #101
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Oh, well..........erm.......uh........ I'm sure that this deserves some kind of comment.

Would "Best of Luck" suffice??
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 01:14 AM   #102
Surferminn
Senior Puddle Jumper

74 Highscores

Okay, here are 3 more Mandarin Goby videos:

goby2 - This one is not as good a quality(due to compression and distant/focus) but it does demonstrate the goby's behavior habit of grazing among the rocks and coral ignoring the other fishes. While most other fishes are swimming in the water space, periodically going to the coral for food or temporary shelter, the goby tended to hang out in the rocks and coral rather than swim in the water space.

goby3 - This one clearly shows the 2 breathing gills on the goby's shoulder even better than the first one and it's habit of grazing on the rocks by scooting up little bit at a time.

goby4 - This one shows another angle of the goby. After it dives to the bottom and forages among the gravel, when it comes up, watch it spit out gravel from it's mouth and return to coral grazing.

In all three videos above and others, the goby consistently keeps it's dorsal fin down. It does not seem to have its dorsal fin up on a regular basis.

Nothing Changes if Nothing Changes.

Last edited by Surferminn; 09-20-2006 at 02:48 AM.
Surferminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 02:09 AM   #103
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Thanks, Minnie. Great vids. Amazing how he struts his stuff like that in #1. Very cool.

Y'know, the single most anticipated feature in 3.0 will be individual behaviour. Hi-res models/textures mean little compared to if the fish start exploring their little reef and so. IMHO, of course!

/Tiny Will of Their Own
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 06:44 AM   #104
jleslie
Engineer

What's interesting to me about the videos, especially #2, is that there is clearly some water flow through the tank, and the fish and scenery are reacting to it. Definitely livens things up! Jim??!??

John
jleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 07:08 AM   #105
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I'm not "Jim??!??", but Jim has wanted to have moving corals since 2000.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 10:49 AM   #106
Jim Sachs
Developer

Yes, that's pretty much the whole point of 3.0.

Minnie - did you take those videos? If so, where?
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 11:08 AM   #107
cjmaddy
Registered

Great videos, Minn. - I've only just got around to viewing them!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 12:03 PM   #108
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

How are you liking that faster speed now Cliff? Makes life much easier for things like this.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:51 PM   #109
cjmaddy
Registered

It's great! - I tend to forget that it's now no problem to look at videos.
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 02:37 PM   #110
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Cliff,
See, the force has absorbed you already. Or maybe you have been assimilated, take your pick.

On another note, Nick here is a photo of the walking shark you were talking about the other day. I have yet to find anything of the other species found.

Any opinions Jim? A small one might look nice, but I have no idea of the movement, that part might be a bit of problem. I haven't found any videos of that yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WS_01.jpg (105.1 KB, 54 views)
Old 09-20-2006, 02:42 PM   #111
jleslie
Engineer

Rather than the corals, what impressed me was the way the fish used the currents as part of their movement, doing things that only work if the water pushes them the correct way in addition to their movement. I see this all the time in the wild, but only just thought how much realism it would add to a virtual aquarium... you can't see the current, but can infer it from the fish...
John
jleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 05:39 PM   #112
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

OK Jim I just found a video, its not a very good one, but at least you can see the movement. And he is definately walking.

Walking Shark
Old 09-20-2006, 09:15 PM   #113
Surferminn
Senior Puddle Jumper

74 Highscores

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
Yes, that's pretty much the whole point of 3.0.

Minnie - did you take those videos? If so, where?  
Yep, just me and my trusty ol' Canon. Took the videos at the Aquarium of the Bay over at Pier 39 in San Francisco. They just have the one Mandarin Goby in one tank with all the other fishes. I had to compress the videos to fit the forum so the quality may be a bit motley but still viewable.

Originally posted by jleslie:
Rather than the corals, what impressed me was the way the fish used the currents as part of their movement, doing things that only work if the water pushes them the correct way in addition to their movement. I see this all the time in the wild, but only just thought how much realism it would add to a virtual aquarium... you can't see the current, but can infer it from the fish...
John  
Actually, I infer the current from the movement of the coral and the movement of the floating particles in the water and lastly see what the fishies are doing.

Old 09-20-2006, 10:34 PM   #114
Jim Sachs
Developer

I was just at the Pier 39 Aquarium a few days ago, and didn't notice the Goby. In fact, I didn't see anything I could use. I'm going to the San Diego area tomorrow to check out the Scripps again, as well as any aquarium stores I can find along the way. Maybe I'll go to Atlanta on Sunday - I've been hearing good things about their new Aquarium.
Jim Sachs
Old 09-20-2006, 11:26 PM   #115
Surferminn
Senior Puddle Jumper

74 Highscores

The goby is only 4 inches or so long. It is there in the same one tank with the one yellow tang in the whole aquarium. You have to look for it. These videos were taken just last Saturday, Sept 16, 2006. Sure wish I could visit all those different aquariums too. Have a good trip(s) and hope you find what you are looking for.

Old 09-21-2006, 01:38 AM   #116
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Minnie,
Then couldn't you lose the sound in your videos and save some space better used for video quality?

/Tiny Suggestion
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 02:33 AM   #117
Jim Sachs
Developer

For web videos, I think the quality is excellent. I wish I had material like this for all the critters I'm planning. It's as useful as seeing them live.
Jim Sachs
Old 09-21-2006, 02:36 AM   #118
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

The Georgia Aquarium is usually packed from what I hear Jim, get your tickets from the web site to save time.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:43 AM   #119
drfish
the Doc

I'll be in Atlanta the end of November, I'm really hoping I can get a day off while I'm down there to check out the aquarium. I also hope that Jennifer won't kill me if I manage to go without her...

You still haven't been there Jav??? What kind of fish fan are you?
I don't watch commercials.
drfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 05:19 AM   #120
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

A busy one.

You would have seen the videos and photos by now if I had. But I am planning on soon. I hope that cooler weather will slow down the amount of people there and I can get some better shots. I hear stories of standing in line outside for several hours to get in. So far somehow I seem to be using more hours in the week than there are. I have yet to figure out how.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive