Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 04-06-2006, 12:15 PM   #21
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

You can get even more cards if you don't want to go PCI. They have the FX6800GS and the FX7800GS.
For me, I won't go back to PCI. I look at it, they started out with PCI. Then they went to SLI. Then they went to AGP. Then to AGP4X then 8X. Now they went back to PCI again. IMO, I'm just waiting for when they go back to AGP again. Which trust me won't be that long.
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
ESHIREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 01:08 PM   #22
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Bit off topic here but the local circuit city offers an eVGA 7800GS AGP for $299 which I am considering for the office machine. With a 3.2 P4 my bottle neck is the current 5900 card for maxing things out. I don't think they will offer anything in the 7900 series in AGP, ( I could be wrong on this ) and the 7800 could be the last blast for AGP, who knows.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 01:37 PM   #23
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Ed,
No-one has gone back to PCI. The new standard is PCI-Express which has substantially higher bandwidth than AGP. TRUST ME when I say there will be no return to AGP.

i4laine,
Can you confirm this problem doesn't arise when you're using another 3D application?

Also, Did you connect the designated power connector to the video card?

/TT
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 01:40 PM   #24
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

I have to agree with Calle on this one. I don't see a future for returning to AGP in any scenario. The bandwidth limitation compared to current PCI-E and even Quad SLI showing up now won't be overcome.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:16 PM   #25
Derrek
Registered

not to go off topic but I just about freaked out. Ed's face just winked at me. I never noticed that before and I then had to stare at it to make sure I wasnt just seeing things.
Derrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 03:34 PM   #26
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by ESHIREY:
You can get even more cards if you don't want to go PCI.

For me, I won't go back to PCI. I look at it, they started out with PCI. Then they went to SLI. Then they went to AGP. Then to AGP4X then 8X. Now they went back to PCI again. IMO, I'm just waiting for when they go back to AGP again. Which trust me won't be that long.  
PCI was a great standard, just not fast enough to handle the best graphics. AGP was a stop-gap measure. It doesn't provide enough power, it conflicted with PCI sound cards, and they kept screwing around with the power requirements. Not to mention having only ONE AGP slot in computers has limited the capability of multiple monitors for years. I think a lot more people would use dual monitors if instead of a dual-head card, they can add as many PCI Express cards as they have room for.

PCI Express is the future. I just wish they'd introduced it sooner. Apple wasted a lot of time implemented a competing (and abandoned) card format PCI-X.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 04:44 PM   #27
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

I guess I was one of the lucky ones not to have any trouble. My first multimonitor setup was with "1" agp of course, and 3 pci video cards and a soundblaster pci sound card. I guess if I'm going to have to update my system just for a new video card I'll wait for the new system to come out. It won't be for a while but it will be great.
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
ESHIREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 03:57 AM   #28
louismo
Registered

Something that might help you

Hi i4laine,

Firstly,

1. go "Control Panel"
2. click on the "Power Management" or "Power Configuration" (I'm using Chinese Windows)
3. In the Power Configuration Tab, select "Always On"
( Don't let your computer get into sleep mode or power saving mode )

Secondly,

1. Open the computer case
2. Check if there has a Four Pins Power Connector on your 6600 display card.
3. If Yes, connect this Power Connector from the Power Supply.
( Some display card must connect an external power source to work normally )

Good lucky!
louismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 06:21 AM   #29
i4laine
Registered

Cool Questions

Hi everyone...This graphics card is PCI. This computer does not have
an AGP slot. I don't belive there is a power hook up to this card...am
I correct? It is not the PCI express.

When he tries to run another screen saver (the ones that come with
XP) all of them will run. Not sure if any of these are 3D..We are going
back over there tomorrow and flash the BIOS to the latest..I am going
to install the latest drivers for the Nvidia card. The only other thing
is that he installed a new Soundblaster Legacy card, but I wouldn't think
that would interfere with it?

You guys are great for all the suggestions...
i4laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 07:02 AM   #30
feldon34
Forum Administrator

We're fairly certain that the 6600 was never made available in a PCI version. Only AGP (1997-2005) and PCI Express (2005+).
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell

Last edited by feldon34; 04-07-2006 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:13 AM   #31
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

I'm starting to believe this card isn't an nVidia 6600 card at all, but rather something else with a 6600 designation. i4laine, could you provide us with a bit more info on the card (i.e. brand, model and amount of memory)? The closest I've gotten is the PNY Quadro FX600, which is a ridiculously expensive card to put in that box (costs like a new lower-midrange computer).

Morgan,
PCI cards has been made all along AGP and PCI-Express and are still available today. (I just can't find one with a 6600 chip).

/Tiny Googlist
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 08:54 AM   #32
feldon34
Forum Administrator

As usual, you're right.

http://www.directron.com/video---cam...deo-cards.html
Old 04-07-2006, 08:59 AM   #33
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

The only thing I can find in the 6600 iteration is either an AGP card or PCI-Express. I haven't found one in PCI-Standard either. My first thought would be either that it is an AGP card, or like Tiny says it has a "6600" name for some other reason. I would also agree with ED, that if it is a true 6600 series it very well could require another power source plugged into the end of the card. So if you are sure it doesn't require that, then it would lend itself to the fact it might not be a true 6600 series.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:00 AM   #34
i4laine
Registered

Questions

Okay..Here is the right card...sorry, I thought that was the wrong Model.
BFG GeForce 6200 OC 256MB DDR PCI Graphics Card
Model: BFGR62256OCP
wS('1','15')
This graphics card supports your Shader Model 3.0-compatible games, displaying them in remarkable 3D realism or an awesome gaming experience.