Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 11-24-2003, 12:20 PM   #321
Jim Sachs
Developer

Icarus -

Yes, welcome to the Forum. Sorry I didn't notice your post, but I've been busy settling back into a normal life after the fires, building a new machine, and fighting strep throat.

Yellow Tang is right - I no longer have any connection with Defender of the Crown or the game industry.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 01:07 AM   #322
fishbowl
Cramped Quarters

Originally posted by Jim Sachs
I've been busy ..... building a new machine
Jim, could you give us any details/specs of this new PC you are building?

Originally posted by Jim Sachs
..... and fighting strep throat.
Jim, I hope you get well soon and hopefully you don't run a fever. I had a bad case of strep throat a few years back and I can honestly tell you it was one of the worst 48 hours of my life.

Btw... Icarus ^i^, Welcome To The Forum!
fishbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 05:47 AM   #323
Marian Nichols
~Author~

Sorry to hear you've been sick, Jim. Saty in bed, drink plenty of liquids, take two asprins and call me in the morning,

Seriously, hope you are better, yes please tell us about your new machine!
Write paranormal mysteries. Six books so far.
Marian Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 11:23 AM   #324
Jim Sachs
Developer

Fishbowl - Just got the new machine up and running last night. Now I'm installing the hundreds of programs it takes to do the Aquarium development. How I long for the days when you could simply copy the programs onto the new hard drive and they'd just work. Now everything has to be "installed", with new license keys, etc.

Specs:
ASUS A7N8X motherboard (per Morgan's recommendation)
AMD 2200 Processor
1 Gig of RAM
120 Gig Hard Drive
G-Force FX 5200 Ultra

As far as the strep throat goes, I'm on penicillin (yes, they still use it after 50 years), and feeling better.
Jim Sachs
Old 11-25-2003, 11:47 AM   #325
drfish
the Doc

The A7N8X is a great board, I don't have one myself, but I've built 3 systems that use them. Did you get the deluxe version with SATA? (sorry, I just have to say this) If you did, I'd consider getting a pair of the new 72gig Western Digital Raptor drives when they come out (soon) and running them in RAID 1... They're insanely fast, quiet, run cool, and have a 5 year warranty because they're enterprise drives. The only thing you'd have to worry about if you ran them in RAID 1 would be off site backups...

Ok, that's it, no more comments on your new machine... Nope, I won't ask if you got 2 sticks of 512 so you could run dual channel with your memory, or why you went with a 2200 when a 2500 only costs a tiny amount more and has twice as much L2 cache, or why you got a FX 5200 and not an ATI card? Ahh! Sorry, stopping now... Forgive me please?
I don't watch commercials.
drfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 12:03 PM   #326
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Once you get all your programs and everything set up, maybe you want to use Norton Ghost or DriveImage or something like that to take a snapshot and copy it to another hard drive?

Hard drives are so cheap now, I'd just keep one in a drawer with my programs on it.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 12:51 PM   #327
cjmaddy
Registered

DriveImage or something like that to take a snapshot and copy it to another hard drive?
Just what I do!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 08:41 PM   #328
midranger4
Registered

Originally posted by feldon27
Once you get all your programs and everything set up, maybe you want to use Norton Ghost or DriveImage or something like that to take a snapshot and copy it to another hard drive?

Hard drives are so cheap now, I'd just keep one in a drawer with my programs on it.
I agree fully Feldon and would offer the following from a post in a technical forum I frequent.

The solution offered is one I thought about from many perspectives before choosing it over a RAID protected system.

My primary concern is HD failure and can surely relate to Jim's plight as it pertains to reloading third party software, entering license keys, and bringing these apps back up to current revs. A format/reload is good for a user that doesn't *live* on their PC. In my case so much critical data and programs reside on my system I went with the solution described below.

I hope my perspective offers some direction for some folks. I would simply encourage everyone to implement ANY type of solution because flying without a net is surely a risky proposition.

Jim, I hope your back where you need to be in quick fashion.

There are a number of ways to approach disaster recovery and it surely depends on your individual situation.

I went with a software based solution that combines Norton Ghost (http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/) with Second Copy (http://www.centered.com/) and I’m quite happy with the functionality and level of protection I enjoy. Basically Ghost creates an image of my primary hard drive to image files only it can read. These image files are created on my second hard drive. Should my primary hard drive fail I can use Ghost to restore the image off the second drive to a newly installed primary drive and have the system restored to the exact state it was in when the image was created. Problem with this approach however is you can’t be creating image files every hour because they take about 45 minutes to create (in my case) so I was still at risk of losing data that was changing between the times I created an image file (which I do about once a month).

This is where second copy comes in and this is likely my most cherished little utility. This gem of a program monitors folders I define for ANY changes and shoots a copy of the changed object over to the second hard drive. Now because my second hard drive is not a RAID drive I can use it not only for my Ghost images but for backup copies of changing data from the primary drive. So if my primary hard drive craps out I restore the Ghost image to a new drive then copy the backup folders second copy maintains on the secondary drive back to the primary and viola I’m back in the saddle.

Another major plus to second copy is 3 copies of monitored objects are available at any given time. The live version, the second copy version, and a third version in the recycle bin that is created every time the second copy version is overwritten. This provides pilot protection because I would have to save a bad file TWICE before I would not be able to recover it within seconds.
midranger4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 12:36 AM   #329
feldon34
Forum Administrator

My main suggestion is to completely sever the link between data and applications. If you use Outlook, redirect it to write your Outlook "Store" files on one of your data drives.

Do everything you can to have data saved on a different hard drive from the OS.

In Jim's situation, I would network the main PC to another PC in the closet with a big hard drive that performs an automated backup every night.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 01:18 PM   #330
cjmaddy
Registered

Jim,
I have to admit that as soon as I saw the specs for your new machine I immediately checked out the G-Force FX 5200 Ultra. ...... My reasoning was, - 'If it's good enough for Jim Sachs, then it's got to be good enough for me!'
The recommended minimum system suggested, made me think my setup may be inadequate, but the cost was much lower than I had expected, and I had a present due! - So I ordered it, - it came today.
With the 52.16 drivers, the sharpness and clarity is stunning! I didn't expect the difference between my GeForce4 MX440 to be too obvious, - but it is! ........ Thanks for 'dangling the carrot!' - it's wonderful!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 11:42 PM   #331
kona001
New Husband and new Aquarium

Angry

Yeah, 5200 Ultra is a great card. I still have my Geforce4 ti4400 which still runs the aquariums great. One thing it doesn't have is full support for DirectX 9 which the 5200 Ultra has. My next card will probably be two years from now, about the time I get a new PC. Hopefully by then they have 6Ghz Pc's on the market so a 3ghz would be the cheapest you can get.
kona001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 03:36 PM   #332
Quick Death
Registered

Hey there Jim --

Have you gotten your computer up to snuff? Are you back to the Freshwater Aquarium? Are we still at 3 fish? Just 4 more . . . .we are so close . . . .how about an update, how are you doing status/post the fire, computer crash, illness . . . .
Quick Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 07:22 PM   #333
Jim Sachs
Developer

I do have the new computer working well enough to write/compile the Aquarium, though there are still a lot of things I have to install on it.

Yesterday I got the Cardinal Tetras working properly - since switching the program base over to DX8, the inner green band had been poking through to the outside when the fish turned.

EVERYTHING is different in DX8. For instance, all the sub-objects in the models must be listed in reverse order from DX6, and the Texture maps must be rightside-up instead of upside-down.
Jim Sachs
Old 12-11-2003, 07:29 PM   #334
Quick Death
Registered

oh well, sounds like much more time . . . . guess the crowd will have to wait, 6months *pray*.

Thanks for the update!
Quick Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 05:02 AM   #335
memilm
Registered

very good news, thx Jim.
memilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 09:46 AM   #336
IXNAY
Green Frog

good to hear
IXNAY

*dreaming of the serene terrarium*

- My Private Homepage -
IXNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 01:00 PM   #337
Matthew
Registered

hi,

i'm new here. personally, I can't wait till i get the freshwater aquarium, cause the marine one looks stunning, However something passed my mind which is to make the ability to add 3d fish yourself, so the community can create fish themsleves. can this be done in any way?

anyway keep it up guys, i'm sure this screensaver will be stunning
Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 02:37 PM   #338
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

Originally posted by Matthew
hi,

i'm new here. personally, I can't wait till i get the freshwater aquarium, cause the marine one looks stunning, However something passed my mind which is to make the ability to add 3d fish yourself, so the community can create fish themsleves. can this be done in any way?

anyway keep it up guys, i'm sure this screensaver will be stunning
First off , Welcome to the forums , you will love it here . But to your question , this has been talked about before and the answer is no . Sorry .
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
ESHIREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 01:05 AM   #339
Lostboy
SquirrelFish

This is Biskit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg biskit.jpg (53.1 KB, 299 views)
Lostboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 01:20 AM   #340
Panthera
Hygenius

Awwwwwww look at that PAWWW!
Panthera Tigris Altaica
The largest living cat in the world, the Siberian Tiger possesses both
grace and beauty. Although it spends a lot of time hunting,
its reputation as a vicious killer is undeserved ....
Panthera is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive