Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 03-11-2002, 02:23 PM   #1
asimon54
Registered

Version 1.1 freezing problem

Hi all. I'm new to this forum stuff so pls bear with me. I was wondering: I have that problem with my machine freezing with my Gforce 3 video card. I have since then downloaded the Nvidia 27.51 update AND version 27.70. Which is the best one anyone would recommend that I use for my fish screen saver? Also, does anyone know if there is a later version of Direct X on either of these files? The reason I ask is because I cannot use anything higher than Direct X 8.0 because of my video editing. If this is the case, and I cannot use the new Fish screensaver version, would it be OK to use the older version? Pls advise. Thanks.
Arleigh Simon
asimon@apr.com
Arleigh Simon
arleighsimon@yahoo.com
asimon54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 02:10 AM   #2
pipeta
Royal Gramma

The screensaver supports DirecX6.0 and higher. Using DirectX8.0 will be the same as older versions.
What operating system do you use? When does your computer freez? (randomly, only when the screensaver is on or every time you use a DirectX application)

This information would help understand what the problem is
pipeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 02:17 AM   #3
feldon34
Forum Administrator

He left out some details here that he sent in the e-mail.

He is running Windows XP, but I guess he has forced it to stay at DirectX 8 somehow (XP comes with DirectX 8.1).

As a result, he will probably have to go back to compatibility drivers like 12.91 or 12.41 since the newer ones like 25.71 and 27.50 aren't working properly.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 09:39 AM   #4
albrt
Registered

re: freezing

I did have a few problems whenever i first installed 1.1. I finally turned the bubble colum and sound off and have run fine ever since..I run on win xp pro.

1GHz P III
ATI DDR 32mb Radeon
512 mb sd ram
Creative sound blaster live digital
Dell Dimension 4100
1024x768

I can use the sound and bubbles if I want. It seems the longer I use the new version the better it is running...I use the drivers that came installed with win xp pro and those run fine..good luck
albrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 09:13 PM   #5
gregzbobo
Registered

I've seen reports and have read that the Creative Live soundcard doesn't like Windows XP very much, especially on some motherboards. You may be among the few that might have this problem. Its not common, but it happens. Also, I'm not even sure its possible to run DX 8.0 with Windows XP, because it ships with DX 8.1, and its supposed to be pretty dang hard to uninstall that and go with an earlier version of DX, if not nigh impossible. You might go with what feldon23 says and try some 12.xx or 23.xx drivers, but if it locks up with the sound on, I'd point to a soundcard driver.
Athlon XP 1600+
512 megs PC2100 DDR RAM
Gigabyte GA-7DXR
dual 40 gig Maxtor in RAID 0
Windows XP Professional
GeForce 4 ti4600 with nvidia 40.41 BETA reference drivers
Getting up to 80 fps in the saver at 1152 X 864 @ 75 hertz screen resolution.

Last edited by gregzbobo; 03-16-2002 at 09:17 PM.
gregzbobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 04:57 PM   #6
bapp40
Registered

Hey guys,

I'm having the same problem as the guy who started this post, except that I am running Win2000 Pro. I have an Athlon chip, enough memory, and a GeForce2 MX card. I downloaded DirectX 8 to fix my slow fish problem. Didn't work. Downloaded Win2000 drivers from this site, and fixed the problem. Now I have a new problem. When the screen saver comes on, it freezes my pc after 15-20 seconds (everytime). I was gonna try removing DirectX to see if that works, but I cant - it's a system component and the link to the "DirectX Removal" on this site doesn't work. I'm getting frustrated. Need your help. You can reply here or email me with solutions - bapp40@aol.com. Thanks in advance to all!
bapp40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 06:11 PM   #7
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I have a new problem. When the screen saver comes on, it freezes my pc after 15-20 seconds (everytime).
When you installed the recommended driver, did you replace "new" files with "old" files? If you don't, then you get a mishmash of newer and older files, instead of one cohesive driver version. I need to put this instruction on my website.

You can't remove DirectX, but you can upgrade to DirectX 8.1. It would be pretty hazardous to try to remove DirectX on Windows 2000. Windows 2000 tends to completely fall apart when you start screwing with the configuration.

My recommendation is download 12.41 nVidia drivers from https://www.feldoncentral.com/Sachs/...s/W2K-1241.exe

then go to http://www.microsoft.com/directx/ and download DirectX 8.1. Then reboot.

If you are still having problems, please get back to us.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive