Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 09-05-2001, 06:49 AM   #1
asprague
Regal Angel

SereneScreen Aquarium Registry Cleaner

Morgan,

The instructions at the link below to install the registry cleaner do not work with the other browsers. When you have a chance, would you mind amending the instructions for those who use Netscape, Opera, etc.?

Thanks,

Arnold

---------------------
www.feldoncentral.com/Sachs/help.html

"SereneScreen Aquarium Registry Cleaner If you are having trouble (after the Demo or another version ran smoothly) such as locking up or just a black screen with sound, please run the SereneScreen Aquarium Registry cleaner. This script removes all trace of all versions of the Aquarium (Demo, all .99 versions including K, K wide, and L), giving you a fresh install.

"Click the link above, choose 'Open this file...' and click 'Yes' after each prompt. Run the Aquarium again and it will ask you for your registration key. If you continue to have problems, please try the other solutions given here."
asprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 09:57 AM   #2
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Re: SereneScreen Aquarium Registry Cleaner

Arnold,

Thanks for the input. It seems we have developed a problem with the download and Netscape. Instead of running this file from its current location, you can also dowload and save this file to any folder that you wish and run it at your leisure. For anyone who might be having registry problems from switching program versions, its a handy thing to have.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 10:11 AM   #3
asprague
Regal Angel

Michael,

Thanks, but....

The rub is that with Netscape and Opera, one is taken to a page www.feldoncentral.com/Sachs/sachsremove.reg that shows only the following (see below, between the dotted lines):

------------------------
REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sachs]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\SereneScreen]
------------------------

That's it. Not much to "run" here, especially for the newbie. Not sure that you want us to go where angels fear to tread and to cut-and-paste in the registry. That will get you some real tech suport calls: "Help, my screen saver won't work. Help, my computer won't work!!!!!"

Thanks,

Arnold
Old 09-05-2001, 10:14 AM   #4
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Ah Netscape, it ignores the file associations on your computer and treats everything as a text file.

I usually root for the little guy, but Netscape dropped the ball.
I can tell very few people are using Netscape these days. I made an update to the front page of my website and bungled one of the tags in the main table. To Netscape viewers, my page was entirely blank. I didn't get an e-mail about it for 2 weeks.

I'll add Netscape instructions, which are more complicated than the IE instructions. They must save the file to their hard drive, then go find it, then double-click on it, and agree to the two prompts.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 03:46 PM   #5
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Arnold,

No problem. I have Netscape on my system, but usually refuse to use it at all, unless I am helping to check something. I tried what you mentioned and saw what happened with Netscape. It was exactly what you had posted here.

What I was refering to was an intermediate fix for people to try at this point using IE until the problem gets corrected. For people who think that they might need to use the registry cleaner, you can save it to disk using IE and run it anytime that you feel the need. Sorry for the confusion.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 03:55 PM   #6
feldon34
Forum Administrator

The problem will be corrected as soon as one of two things happens:

Netscape comes out of the dark ages and recognizes the file extensions as they are associated on your computer.

Netscape winks out of existance

No comment on Opera. Nice small browser with a few snafus like this one to fix. Netscape has major deficiencies.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 09-06-2001, 09:51 AM   #7
asprague
Regal Angel

Michael,

Thank you for your kind and supportive reply.

I will sell my soul and do what you suggest. I seem to end up on the wrong side of Mr. Gates: OS/2, Netscape, and on.

Thanks,

Arnold
Old 09-06-2001, 09:12 PM   #8

You won't be disappointed

I just upgraded to IE6 and haven't had a hiccup. IE is really the better browser out there and Netscape has been a string of debacles since version 4
Old 09-06-2001, 11:09 PM   #9
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Re: You won't be disappointed

I have to support the major browsers, even if I dislike them
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive