Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 10-16-2001, 11:34 AM   #21
BladeRunner
Registered

Re: Here's the solution...

Well I'm glad I'm not totally mad and some others can see it, when running the screensaver I have to get about 4 foot away from the screen before I can no longer notice it at all. So maybe like The Tiny Turtle says I'm just more sensitive to this?, after all, the GF2 Ultra rolling lines issue, was blatantly obvious to me on the few cards I saw, when other friends couldn't see it or needed it pointed out. Could also be something in my system(s) that's amplifying it, making it seem worse than it would normally be. I have seen it running on others systems in the past, (but usually with poor quality 15" goldfish bowl monitors). You see until recently, I assumed this was simply a 16 bit colour thing, and as a 32 bit DX8 version was being worked on, together with banding being talked about, I assumed it would be fixed then, so I wasn't actively looking at others systems for this banding, I will from now on.

It's only when I revisited the new forums and saw the news that it wasn't possible to make a general DX8 version and 32 bit colour would not look any different. How do I try the 3 fish DX8 version for XP BTW? may look different?

I must say I do like that image, feldon23. Very nice but don't hint at more work for Jim or I'll definately be struck off his Xmas card list.

I must also stress I'm not trying to make a big deal out of this, just trying to find a "fix", I agree with cjmaddy

I think I now regret looking for this. It really is very slight, and I repeat, I am more than happy to live with it! With the fish returned, the bubbles on, and the 3D coral to come, this will still be the best $20 you could spend! It IS fantastic!

It's not really that bad and I can and live with it, really I was looking for input as to which hardware type to avoid if anyone knew something particular was causing or amplifying it. again as cjmaddy says when you know it's there you always see it, like a scratch or dent in a new cars bodywork I guess.
BladeRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 11:44 AM   #22
BladeRunner
Registered

cjmaddy

Ok we were cross posting then I've just seen your new post. I was thinking that it could be monitor induced when no one else could see the banding but a screen shot wont save a monitor effect as it is saving the "pre signal" image not the display the monitor is producing as such.

I might be wrong here, (someone correct me if I'm wrong on the above). could possibly be the monitor inducing a corruption toe the signal, again I doubt this would be saved in a screen image.

What it could be is the fact we are looking at them on "quality" monitors so it is more obvious?

Thanks for the help with this btw
Old 10-16-2001, 12:28 PM   #23
cjmaddy
Registered

Diamondtron and Trinitron

BladeRunner,
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Good points, - well made! ............ Back to the drawing board!

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp (btw - My son is an optician - do you think I should pay him a visit!)

cjmaddy
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001, 09:52 AM   #24
cjmaddy
Registered

feldon23,
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp I hope you don't think your "Here's the solution..." post has been ignored!
I just wanted time to think about it. I'm still not sure I understand your meaning behind it, but here goes -

I agree that replacing the plain background with a picture would remove the very slight banding that is apparent
on some systems, my own included, but please don't do it!

I really like the smoooooooth large areas of fine gradation from dark to light, and blue to green. I don't think
any other "Picture" could possibly give the same realistic depth and naturalness. I have mine set just a little
darker than standard, and it looks fabulous! - don't change it!

What is planned for behind the 3D coral? .... don't say it's going to be some hideous "picture", - it would ruin
something thats damn near perfect!

Keep up the good work, - I can't wait for the 3D coral !!!

Yours (with banding) cjmaddy.
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001, 10:18 AM   #25
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I'd like to have the option. And that picture is something like 450 x 450 scaled up dramatically with blurring on and I still think it looks fine at 1600x1200. The picture is basically resolution independant because it has no detail. It's just pools of color.

Anyway, I'm sure Jim has no plans of any kind to use a bitmap.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 12:21 PM   #26
BladeRunner
Registered

Don't panic cjmaddy, as feldon23 was just being creative in an artistic way. An option like that would be nice but the current one is fine.

I wasn't complaining or demanding a fix with this topic, moreover just trying to get across that it is there, does exist, and has from the beginning for me. A solution would be nice as it's the only app I've ever seen this type of banding in, (that's not colour depth related), which was all I was looking for. If there is no solution and it's my, hardware or vision or whatever I wont loose any sleep over it. Thanks for all the input though

P.s Tried 2x reference Nvidia GF3 TI500's, and banding still the same.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive