Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 02-09-2008, 10:36 AM   #1121
Jim Sachs
Developer

Thanks for the suggestions, Leon. Currently, MA3 has no user interface and all 28 fish are in the tank. I am taking suggestions for the type of interface that would allow a large number of fish to be chosen, as well as multiple copies of each fish. The Beta testers are coming up with some pretty good ideas.

Regarding the new fast PCs and cards -- yes, that is the whole reason for MA3. There will be some sort of minimum-equipment requirement, but it will still include most cards made in the last 5 years, and DirectX 9.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 04:34 PM   #1122
debavocet
Welcome to the Quack House!

Having more fish on sceen sounds great, but a lot of us don't have high-end video cards. My Mac's VRAM is 32 MBs., and it isn't interchangeable. If it can't handle 28 fish, I REALLY hope you will consider users being able to select the number of fish on screen - if technically practical to design.
Same goes for groups or schools of the same species traveling together - that would look great.
debavocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 06:49 PM   #1123
Jim Sachs
Developer

Sure, you'll be able to have any number of fish on the screen up to the max. All I'm saying is that the max will be much higher than it is now.

There will be SOME minimum equipment requirement -- the whole point of MA3 is to take advantage of hardware that has come out since I wrote the original version 8 years ago. For those with lesser equipment, there's always MA2.6.

I'm currently under a lot of fire for making those equipment requirements too LOW, instead of too high. Since you have a Mac, I really have no idea yet whether it will work on your machine. First I have to finish the PC version, then turn it over to Jim O'Connor to do a Mac conversion (if it's even possible).
Jim Sachs
Old 02-10-2008, 12:13 AM   #1124
memilm
Registered

please don't forget to implement the keyboard shortcuts for all functions in the user interface... I think that I'm not the only one who is really pleased to use or set program functions with the keyboard without any mouse clicking.
memilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 12:21 AM   #1125
Jim Sachs
Developer

Yes, it will have a full compliment of keyboard shortcuts, but not all will be the same as the old program. For example, the left and right-arrow keys, which formerly controlled the background lightis, now scroll the scene left and right.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-10-2008, 08:40 AM   #1126
Stew2000
Registered

Is it possible to have a ui where the fish are swimming in single smaller tanks, like in pet shops and such?
Stew2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:36 AM   #1127
Jim Sachs
Developer

Sounds like a lot of work.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-10-2008, 12:11 PM   #1128
Marian Nichols
~Author~

I would think so!
Write paranormal mysteries. Six books so far.
Marian Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 01:36 PM   #1129
Leon
Registered

Hi All,

I love the friendly and positive nature of this forum - and thanks for the welcome, Marian!

I agree with Memilm - the keyboard feature allows a lot of control over the aquarium. I am constantly playing with it and "trying out" new fish in the tank.

I suppose I am a frustrated marine tank fan. I have always wanted one but I do not think I would be capable of running one without the fish suffering. And we don't want that! Time is also an issue. Maybe when I retire...

One thing that keeps cropping up on the forum is the idea of feeding the fish in the screensaver. You have my vote for that one!

When I was fortunate enough to dive in the Seychelles, I fell in love with the Octopus. They are highly intelligent creatures and able to camouflage themselves and some even mimic other animals like lionfish and sea snakes. Good luck with animating one of those, Jim!

Leon
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 02:39 PM   #1130
Jim Sachs
Developer

The octopus is the most difficult creature on the wishlist, and will almost certainly be the last one to be added. I have fairly strong theories about how to do all aspects of it, including camouflage, but putting those theories into practice is another matter.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-10-2008, 07:53 PM   #1131
Dabombguyman
Registered

I was wondering if your making it so that some fish are shy, some are agressive or some just don't care where they are, like give them personalities. And yes I know it would be difficult to do.
Dabombguyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 08:20 PM   #1132
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

All the fish should have distinctive personalities before everything is said and done. They should generally be acting like their real life counterparts.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:03 PM   #1133
Jim Sachs
Developer

Yeah - what he said.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-11-2008, 10:37 AM   #1134
Dabombguyman
Registered

Exclamation

What if you could select a personality type for your fish. Instead of programing it into the fish, make it a separate piece of code that just explains how the fish should act and react.

Last edited by Dabombguyman; 02-11-2008 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:40 AM   #1135
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I'm looking forward to the behaviors being roughly equivalent of how the fish behave in real life.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 11:41 AM   #1136
Jim Sachs
Developer

Many books on tropical fish list the general behavior type (agressive, passive, timid, etc.). I'll use these to make the behavior as realistic as possible. There may be a little chasing, but no violence, even among fish that are really not recommended for the same tank.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-11-2008, 05:03 PM   #1137
Andrew Jenkins
Registered

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
Many books on tropical fish list the general behavior type (agressive, passive, timid, etc.). I'll use these to make the behavior as realistic as possible. There may be a little chasing, but no violence, even among fish that are really not recommended for the same tank.  
WOW!!!
This is getting is more & more exciting by the minute! Virtual characteristics... and you don't even have to clean the tank... or may be I missed something in earlier threads...
I remember the once buying a tamochochi for my youngest which was forever 'passing on' because it was not fed & cleaned properly- I became something of an expert in tamachochi parenting!
Chasing sounds good.
Schooling/shoaling sounds good also.
Fish that appear different size by virtue of how near they are to the front of the tank.
Fish that grow or infant fish?
Fascinating just how many factors come potentially in to the equation when you start to develop the concept further. Where does it stop?
Andrew Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:20 PM   #1138
cjmaddy
Registered

"Where does it stop?" ....

Well, I'm fully expecting MA3 to require my desk to need strengthening, in order to support the added weight of the larger tank!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:51 PM   #1139
Jim Sachs
Developer

"Fish that appear different size by virtue of how near they are to the front of the tank." -- They have always done this (it's what makes them 3D).

"Fish that grow or infant fish?" -- Probably not, at least in the short term. However, when several of the same type of fish are chosen, they will probably have some size variation.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-11-2008, 09:38 PM   #1140
Dabombguyman
Registered

I was wondering. In 2.6, which I have, the edges are sharp and rectangular like the edges of this smilie . Are you going to make it so that the edges are smooth on any screen (like this O)? Because that would make the experience alot easier to look at.

PS: It doesn't look like the fish in the screenshot have shadows. Are they supposed to?
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive