Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 06-01-2002, 07:08 AM   #1
Northrop
Registered

Colour quality 16 bit or 32 bit?

Hi all

My question is this. When I first saw the Plus! version of Aquarium running under Windows XP, it seem to run at 32 bit colour, but now that I have purchased the full version it seems to only run in 16 bit colour.

Q1. How if possible do I change to 32 bit colour?

Q2. If this is not possible, will it be incorparated in future versions?

Thanks in advance

Clive Northrop
Northrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 08:24 AM   #2
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

This is covered in the FAQ:

https://www.feldoncentral.com/Sachs/...are_&_Drivers7
Mountainmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 11:03 AM   #3
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I should add that all the textures including the coral are 16-bit color.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 01:50 AM   #4
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

I should add that all the textures including the coral are 16-bit color.
Which is why it would make no difference at all if the program ran in 16 or 32 bit color, 32 bit color mode isn't going to make 16 bit textures change to 32. HOWEVER, if the textures were 32 bit, then that would be a different story.
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Today is the tomorrow you were worried about yesterday...
Digital Lungfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 11:09 AM   #5
Northrop
Registered

Thanks guys for your answers.

I still think this screensaver is the best!
Northrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 10:26 AM   #6
Ad_Enuff
Registered

Originally posted by Digital Lungfish

Which is why it would make no difference at all if the program ran in 16 or 32 bit color, 32 bit color mode isn't going to make 16 bit textures change to 32. HOWEVER, if the textures were 32 bit, then that would be a different story.
According to all the conversations I remember having with Feldon/Jim and so on, this statement isnt true with regards to 32 Bit textures of the fish currently in the screen saver.

This is because that although all the fish have been created as 16 bit textures, each fish contains thousands of colours per fish........so much so that according to Jim there are several colours still left over.

Therefore using 32 Bit textures wouldnt increase the detail of each fish, only the size of the files and therefore the screensaver itself.....something of which Jim wants to keep to a managable size and under or about 1.44Mb to fit onto a floppy disk.

Or at least thats how I understand things......
Ad_Enuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 12:08 PM   #7
flipper
Registered

just looking at texture color bit depth is a simplification of the issue with regards to DISPLAY color bit depth. texture color bit depth is only one factor in determining what the maxium required colors are/should be once all of the pixels have been processed through the rendering pipeline. you also have to consider source lighting, reflection, refraction, emission (eels!), alpha blending, etc.

the SSA uses a very controlled lighting model so a 16 bit color depth for DISPLAY purposes works fine. if a more dynamic model is required in later SS's I imagine a deeper DISPLAY bit depth would/could add much more realism to the scene, regardless of the texture color bit depth.
flipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 04:11 AM   #8
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

Therefore using 32 Bit textures wouldnt increase the detail of each fish
I never said that increasing the bit depth of the textures would increase the "detail" of the fish or the background. If Jim wants to add more detail to the fish, he can do so by modifying the 3D model of each fish or he can give the illusion of more detail by using bump mapping. As for the background, well.....3D is all I have to say.

An increase in bit depth means an increase in the number of colors available, this usually results in a more color rich presentation. There are other items that factor into the end result as well, which flipper was kind enough to point out.
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Today is the tomorrow you were worried about yesterday...
Digital Lungfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive