Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 08-24-2009, 02:56 PM   #1
rctneil
Registered

Question Recent Updates

Hey,
I have just returned from a 2 week holiday in LA and just want to know what progress has been made on MA3 in that time?

How are the new fish models and bahviours and when will we be able to get our first glimpse of them and then get our grubby hands all over them!

Thanks

Regards,
Neil
rctneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:07 PM   #2
cjmaddy
Registered

When I get back from being away for a while, I read the new posts since my last visit.
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:34 PM   #3
rctneil
Registered

Theres no need to be nasty about it. I asked a perfectly acceptable question and I read all new posts when I came back and thought I would just post an extra thread directly asking how the progress was coming along as not a huge amount of progress reports have been posted.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:54 PM   #4
Wizwad
Only me...

Originally posted by rctneil:
Theres no need to be nasty about it. I asked a perfectly acceptable question and I read all new posts when I came back and thought I would just post an extra thread directly asking how the progress was coming along as not a huge amount of progress reports have been posted.  
Don't worry - Cliff was just teasing. (See the smilie )

As to what progress we've been told about:

"thought I would just post...as not a huge amount of progress reports have been posted"

There's your answer, right there! Sadly - not a lot! You're now as up to date as we.
Mark
-----------
Intel i7 12700K | Aorus Z690 Pro | Corsair DDR5 5600 32GB | Asus Dual RTX3060ti 6GB v2 Mini OC | Corsair RM850 Gold PSU | 1TB NVMe M.2 WD Black SN850 | 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD | Corsair Airflow 5000D Case | HP 32QHD 4K Monitor | Windows 11 x64 Professional
Wizwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:10 PM   #5
Jim Sachs
Developer

Struggling with the new models.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:58 AM   #6
cjmaddy
Registered

Thanks Mark. - Nice to see that at least one person has a sense of humour!

Jim, - the mental picture I have of you struggling with some new models, - is amazing!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:30 AM   #7
henemly
asdf

Glad ya said model(s), plural.
http://www.coltrain.byethost8.com
henemly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:22 AM   #8
rctneil
Registered

Right, I apologise cjmaddy. Sorry.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:23 PM   #9
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

Originally posted by cjmaddy:
Jim, - the mental picture I have of you struggling with some new models, - is amazing!  
We must.. while conjuring up mental images of Jim struggling with new models, remember… he is a married man
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:58 AM   #10
The Old Man
Registered

I think with the amount of hard work and development time going into the new fish models, it appears to some that nothing is happening with the project which is probably misleading. We got used to a new beta every month with a new piece of coral moving, or a new tube worm coming to life and it kept interest going and showed things were continuing to develop, but now Jim is concentrating on the fish, I think it will be a while before we see more sections of the background come to life. Therefore given that perception, I'd expect to see more of these type of questions/topics appearing. Its human nature!
Bought MA3 Beta on previously for Vista and now running it on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit with an Nvidia GTX650Ti powering a 22" monitor and it's stunning!
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:31 PM   #11
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

We have a short attention span and get restless quickly. Or... we inject mindless banter (in good humor I trust) to keep folks involved while Jim does his thing.
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:26 AM   #12
Mith
Registered

The MOST important thing for ME is the fish models/behavior... I'll wait as long as it takes. In fact, I'd have rather seen everything else done AFTER... but that's me. We're moving forward... I think.. hehe.. J/K-
Mith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 02:20 PM   #13
rctneil
Registered

Any more news on recent developments within the aquarium?

I'm not trying to rush you at all. Just merely inquisitive
Old 10-22-2009, 12:34 PM   #14
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by Ralph:
We have a short attention span and get restless quickly. Or... we inject mindless banter (in good humor I trust) to keep folks involved while Jim does his thing.  
What was the date of the most recent release? My notes say June 3, 2009, but I'm not sure that's accurate.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:24 PM   #15
Nicki
Sugar Plum Fairy

10d came out June 3rd , 10b with the feather duster worm on May 22nd . Over at Dream Aquarium , Alan has been working on improving fish behaviour for 10 months or so now , so it could be a while yet . Collision avoidance for tall slim fish like those in MA3 ( or those with trailing fins ) , is very complex he says .
Run you clever boy. And remember...
Nicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:46 PM   #16
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Jim and Alan are now hip-deep in the same swamp.

If only there were 10 years experience out there writing advanced collision detection/avoidance code in the gaming industry. Oh wait...
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:50 PM   #17
Wizwad
Only me...

Snippy, Morgan, very snippy!
Mark
-----------
Intel i7 12700K | Aorus Z690 Pro | Corsair DDR5 5600 32GB | Asus Dual RTX3060ti 6GB v2 Mini OC | Corsair RM850 Gold PSU | 1TB NVMe M.2 WD Black SN850 | 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD | Corsair Airflow 5000D Case | HP 32QHD 4K Monitor | Windows 11 x64 Professional
Wizwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 05:39 PM   #18
Jim Sachs
Developer

Oh, it's out there, all right. I just don't have access to it
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 05:55 PM   #19
feldon34
Forum Administrator

If only you had a Publisher with the connections necessary... Oh wait.

If only you had a product that gets featured on national TV and has enough credibility that if the right folks were approached, you'd get help. If only your Publisher would shake a few bushes... Oh wait.

It's very frustrating to watch after 9 years.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:36 AM   #20
flipper
Registered

I'm willing to help for free

I'm more than willing to send Jim (or Feldon or whomever) the code I've been developing since I first came across MA about a decade ago. I've always felt I owed Jim and this would be one way to pay him back.

I have a number of settings that govern the behavior of my fish with regards to avoiding each other and the objects in the tank. And to my untrained eye, and to those that I've given the app to, they look fairly realistic.

The fish swim around pretty much as they please, and with less than one percent "collisions," which I track as simple sphere-sphere or sphere-box intersections. Tracking of actual triangle intersections yields almost no true mesh collisions at all, even with a large number of objects and fish in the tank.

Maybe this would be a starting point for Jim? At the very least I would be willing to write up my thoughts on how I went about the analysis as well as provide him with some pseudo-code. It's all pretty straightforward in terms of ideas, and I could provide code that he should be able to just plug into his and use as-is, assuming he's developing in C and/or C++.
flipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows