Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X > Marine Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X Archive
Notices

Old 09-10-2002, 03:13 AM   #1
Unregistered

How Do I set my Aquarium as a display background

Hi
My name is kris, How do i setup my Aquarium saver work as a Background DIsplay? So i can have a Aquarium running at the back (as a background) while i'm working on my computer!

k_halloween@yahoo.com
Old 09-10-2002, 11:32 AM   #2
feldon34
Forum Administrator

https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums...=&threadid=975
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 10:10 AM   #3
beherenow
Registered

Smile How to use as display background

This is explained in the November MacWorld, page, 66 BE CAREFULL follow all directions, since you are using Terminal application. You must write down the number that appears after typing in the below info, so you can reverse the process by then typing kill "number". Make the serenescene your active screensaver.

Open Terminal type

nice +20 /System/Library/Frameworks/Screensaver.framework/Resources/ScreenSaverEngine.app/Contents/MacOS/ScreenSaverEngine -background &

then press return to make the active screen saver your desktop picture. A number will appear in your Terminal Window, write it down (it follows [1].

This number is the process you just invoked. To turn effect off type kill "number"
Just use the number, not the quotes. The nice +20 instruction allows for slower background and faster use of the computer. Try setting colors in the monitor at thousands not millions for better results. Please do not attempt this if unsure about how to use Terminal, and please buy a MacWorld and review article for best results.
beherenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 01:55 AM   #4
FoLoSa
Registered

Screensaver as background

Hi,

I use two little utilities to use ANY Mac OSX screensaver as a background. Both have pretty much the same functionality, just didn't make up my mind about which one to use yet.

Check out xBack at http://www.gideonsoftworks.com/xback.html

or

BackLight at http://www.freshlysqueezedsoftware.com

Both are cool tools!
FoLoSa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 06:13 AM   #5
mrtew
Registered

I use backlight all the time! In fact here is a picture of what my fish did last nite to their tank when I left it running. No, Jim, noooooooooo, I swear it was the fish, I didn't do it, the fish Jim, the fish!!! Please don't stop the Mac ports Jim, I won't let it happen again, noooooooooooooo!

mrtew
mrtew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 06:18 AM   #6
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Showing off that slick apple design touch I see, mr. Tew...

/Tiny Repulsion
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 09:30 AM   #7
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Jim is going to commit hara-kiri when he sees that.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 12:22 PM   #8
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

Mr. Tew:
ROFLOL!

Morgan:
I hope not. We need Fresh Water, the goby, and lots of other things FIRST!

Back to the code...
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
JimO'Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 12:44 PM   #9
Reichart
CTO Prolific Publishing

Notice how much smarter the Mac fish are than the PC fish.

All the PC fish did was put up a paper snowman, and tied the starfish to the top of the coral with a ribbon bought at KMart.

Reichart...
Reichart... , CTO, Prolific Publishing, Inc.
Come visit us Prolific Publishing, Inc.
Reichart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 12:52 PM   #10
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

We put in LOTs of new AI code in the Mac version. :^) We made them watch HGTV for weeks.
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
JimO'Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 07:49 PM   #11
mrtew
Registered

Now SaverLab has a new function that will allow screensavers to run as a transparent layer overlaying the entire screen. You can work all day and never lose sight of even one fish. Truly amazing. It also has a feature that lets you make quicktime movies of screensavers so you can 'tape' the antics of you favorite fish and play them back later! :-]
Here's a screenshot of the clear layer thing!

mrtew
Old 12-23-2002, 03:20 PM   #12
Yellow Tang
YT

Tournaments Won: 1

I think Jim will be "not amused" about that...
Obviously it's a nice feature for all the mac-tech-freaks out there.
Yellow Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 05:11 PM   #13
Jim Sachs
Developer

We are not amused. OK, maybe we are slightly amused, but we definitely do not approve.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 06:44 PM   #14
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Mr.Tew,
Call me boring, reactionary, old-fashioned if you want (though I'd rather you not ) but is there a useful application for that feature? To me that looks like neither a good-looking aquarium, nor a user-friendly enviroment. More like "Look at this cool feature we threw in because we could..."
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Old 12-23-2002, 09:31 PM   #15
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Definately not something I would be proud to have.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 02:05 PM   #16
mrtew
Registered

FINE! I think I am going to stop posting blasphemous screenshots for a while then! You guys are going to miss them though. You'll come crawling back begging for them after a while! You'll see! You'll see! You'll be begging!
mrtew
Old 12-24-2002, 05:56 PM   #17
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Tew? – No, thats Mr. Tew to you guys.

Keep up the good work and have a good x-mas...

/Tiny Begging

Last edited by Tiny Turtle; 12-24-2002 at 06:07 PM.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X > Marine Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X Archive